cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: BT/EE hybrid connect

Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I just took delivery of one of these 4G Hybrid devices. Can I connect it direct to a PC? My PC doesn't recognise it - do I have to go through the Smart Hub 2? Looks like it... Can I use the 4G Hybrid at different addresses?

Cheers for any help

Louise

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Looks like there are no download limits over 4G - if so that will be good 🙂

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Louise_W_515 

Thanks for coming back to the community. 

Does the Setting up Hybrid Connect  page, help you get connected? 

Leanne.

Probably, but it doesn't explicitly say you can't directly connect a PC to the 4G hybrid though as it doesn't work, I presume you can't.

Can I use the hybrid device (4G only) at different addresses? Is there a cap on download Gb? Speed?

Thanks

Louise

@Louise_W_515 : If that mobile router has an Ethernet port, you should be able to connect it to a PC.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi again

Thanks for the reply.

It appears to need to be connected to the hub. It just means plugging in the powered up hub and then connecting to the hybrid via the supplied cable. The cable is ethernet connector at the 4G hybrid end but a phone plug at the hub end.

I'd like to know if I can use the 4G + hub at different addresses and what limitations in speed and data are. I think the 4G hybrid is limited to 30Mb? but not sure if the data download amount is capped also?

Louise

"I'd like to know if I can use the 4G + hub (without a phone connection) at different addresses and what limitations in speed and data  there are. I think the 4G hybrid is limited to 30Mb? but not sure if the data download amount is capped also?"

Louise

Anyone?

Just to correct myself: The cable is actually ethernet at both ends! Was having a senior moment... Duh!

I finally got the hybrid connect working with the hub - it took ages to 'pair'... I was thinking it was broken already... Anyway, everything seems to work here at my current flat. I get 30Mbs/5Mbs which I think I knew  was capped at 30 over the 4G I'll take it over to the 'new' flat and try it there with a laptop. I've not tried the 4G on its own but I suspect it needs the hub.

I still don't know if my data is capped - anybody throw some light on that? Where can I find out. Also the hub apparently needs a master socket - are they easy to put in? I think there are only ordinary sockets in the flat (not connected). The BT engineer is due on Oct 9th.

Oh well, at least I should have a basic internet connection - if nothing else!

Louise

Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Looks like there are no download limits over 4G - if so that will be good 🙂

Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

An update and a query... So I tried the hybrid setup at the new flat but signal was only 2 bars and download speed only 17Mbps (at the front window)  - pretty poor. How is it that when I measured the 4G data speed with my phone the other day (also at the front window) I could get over 90Mb? Makes no sense to me - am I missing something?

Also, there is actually a master socket in the hall (but has a faint Virgin Media inscription on it??) and it's a good 16-18ft from the window where the 4G hybrid device would have to go. I think I'm going to have to ditch the hybrid once I have the phone line internet connection - assuming that does have a decent speed. I don't know what I'd do if it's not! I don't want to commit to 24 months for something that's poor 😞 . Over the phone the BT engineer/sales guy said I could expect 35-45Mb (conservative) over 4G and 55-69Mb over the phone line. He _seemed_ to know what he was talking about...

Louise

Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I think I might cancel the EE/BT installation - I don't think it will be good enough.