Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plex and Public IP address issue

Fortgreen7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have recently joined EE. I was previously with Virgin.

My issue started a couple of weeks in joining EE and keeps happening every 2 weeks or so not sure on exact times but there abouts.

I use plex to access my Media remotely which works usually fine, but each couple of weeks I lose my connection remotely which means I cannot access my media content out and about.

The thing that resolves my issue is a restart of router. So I'm thinking is it to do with DHCP renewing my public IP address?  Never had this issue with virgin and all settings are the same I.e port forwarding.

Has anyone had this issue or know the reason as to why this keeps happening every couple of weeks.

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28

I read there that you had mentioned I have set up a DDNS but tbh I haven't really messed around with it too much.

Plex goes into its relay service once the IP address changes so I have to manually either 

1 reboot router

2 on media server go into remote access and reconnect. 

If I start to use the DDNS can I use my domain and recconect remotely to plex would this work ok? As I don't think I could reboot the router remotely, well possibly an amazon smart plug. 

Also when the router resyncs the public IP can change. Is it possible that a new router could change this or is it simply EE that does this regardless?

Cheers 

@Fortgreen7 wrote:

Also when the router resyncs the public IP can change. Is it possible that a new router could change this or is it simply EE that does this regardless?

It's not the router itself or EE doing this but the condition of the line connection causing a discon for any reason. So any other router would react in exactly the same way.

Remember I said "a resync may trigger an IP change". That's not every resync! The line could break every day but come back with the same IP until eventually, say after 2 weeks, EE's DHCP decides to issue a new public IP.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Just wanted to add to this that.

It appears to be only linked to plex specifically to the remote access.

So an example would be, EE change my public IP which tbh can be anytime between 4 day and 2 weeks, its at this point I get put onto plex relay when I want to access my media server remotely, the only way to get around this is restart router or go into plex remote access section of plex(I think this works as it appeared to work last time)

My question is can I access my DDNS domain which gives me access to plex to "recconect" my new public ip or does this have to be done via media server itself??

I've notised that when my public IP changes, the remote access section remains the same (old public ip) this is why I'm having issues.

Or is there another method that I can get remote access to automatically recconect?

Thankyou

@Fortgreen7 

If you use a DDNS service and link it to the EE router which is what I do, then when the External IP changes it will notify your DDNS service and that will change the record automatically.

You will simply keep using your media.mydomain.site address and it will link no need to reboot/resync router. just ensure that your port forwarding/DMZ records point to your plex server address and all will be fine

The EE router supports several DDNS services I decided to pay for mine as it wasn't too expensive

I hope this helps

Thanks for this. I will continue to use my DDNS for excessing my media server remotely.

However this is only for URL based....... using the DDNS I mean. 

If I go to use my plex app(which is much better in terms of layout) it will either

1) go into plex relay if public ip changes

2) not work at all(depending on devices)

The only thing left for me to complete at this stage is use the DDNS when public ip changes then try and reset/recconect my remote access setting within plex remotely to see if it picks up the new EE public ip and recconect to it. I'm not sure if it will work.

Thanks 

@Fortgreen7 

If your using a supported DDNS service then configure the router to update this service automatically 

There is a section under Advanced > Broadband > Dynamic DNS

Once set up with the correct details whenever your IP changes the system will update your DDNS service which will reflect the new IP address

you should not need to do anything with the Plex server only ensure that the router port forwarding or DMZ is pointing to the Plex internal IP address

I hope this helps

Using the DDNS doesn't appear to work with the plex ddns as it still stick with the "old" public ip not the new 1.

I think i have tried most options but cannot find a solution. 

It ends up me having to reboot router to get my media server working remotely again. I'm not sure why EE change there public ip all the time. For the most of us it won't effect most things we do. But for me it's a complete pain. 

If anyone else has simular issues or a specific solution to this I would be grateful as I cannot leave ee u til my 18mth contract is up. 

1 last thing. What if I put my media server into DMZ wpuld this make any difference?? 

Old thread I know but there is a way around this if you're looking for a simple solution. I switched to EE and had exactly the same problem. I was pulling my hair out. Very frustrating. The solution I came u with is to have the router on a smart plug and set a schedule for the smart plug so it switches off for a minute then back on at 5:15 in the morning (most convenient time). This ensures that the router is always in sync with Plex. I haven't had an issue since. The plug was £9.99.