cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New smart hub plus split wifi bands

moscab
Investigator
Investigator

Can anyone tell me if the new Smart Hub Plus router which has been released not long ago has the ability to split wifi bands?

5 REPLIES 5
Hazard_UK
Visitor

on my router you can.

go into settings section, in the basic wifi settings, where the toggle buttons allow you to turn on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz signals.

Ensure these are both ON.

Change the default name of your 2.4ghz SSID to something different (AND make it different to your 5ghz SSID name) 

Follow the instructions - restart your router when asked.

Shouldn't need to go into the advanced section at all (unless one day perhaps you may get interference from next door's 5ghz Wifi Router using a similar channel.)

But, @Hazard_UK , does that answer the OP's Q? Which router are you describing? I bet it's the black Smart Hub w/out the "Plus".

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
moscab
Investigator
Investigator

that's the smart hub plus I'm referring to, the one which supports Wifi 6 (not 6E)

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@moscab wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the new Smart Hub Plus router which has been released not long ago has the ability to split wifi bands?

No, it doesn't. Similar to the Smart Router, you can enable/disable the bands independently of each other, however when they are both enabled they share the same SSID/WPA key.

gtwr
Contributor
Contributor

Is this likely to change? When I only have 5GHz devices connected to my Wi-Fi, my work laptop always connects to 5GHz and I get my expected speeds. However as soon I connect some 2.4GHz devices, the laptop occasionally switches to 2.4GHz and gets much slower speeds.

Because it is a work laptop, I don't have full access to the device manager so I can't force it to connect on the 5GHz band.

On my previous router, I was able to one SSID for the 5GHz band and a different SSID for the 2.4GHz band. That why my work laptop would only connect to the 5GHz band.