cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EE Hub adpts my old hubs user name and password after EE app instructions

R09
Investigator
Investigator

While setting up my 'smart' devices on my new  hub I was offered an option on the EE app to move all the devices across to the new hub which seemed a great idea and service and a time saver. The reason for looking was that most smart plugs work on 2.4GHz and I couldn't see the option on the new hub to choose that frequency.

After going through the stages I checked the connected devices and the Google items were across but not connected and all the smart plugs hadn't come over.  Undeterred by the setback I tried to connect one of the smart plugs and noticed that my new hub was missing from the network, and more concerning my old hub which was disconnected was live as a network!!

After some digging and logging onto the new hub I found that the EE app had not just moved a few devices but had renamed the new hub with the old hubs name and changed the password to the old hubs password. Also none of the smart devices I'd originally moved were working because they were looking for the new hub!

Now I have a fault with the connection and can't get an engineer for 3 days. I was going to change all the hub name and password back but concerned its changed other things and need to work out what its done. 

Anyone gone through this and have ideas?  Also don't copy the devices over via the EE app unless you a pretty technically savvy.

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which EE router have you?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have the Smart Hub Plus 

It arrived last week so I presume it's the latest version 

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Reset HUB to default/Factory settings (5-10 second push reset button with a paper clip) and it is supposed to adapt original settings (new HUB settings)...

If You have EE Super hub Plus (2023) coded as SH31B, there IS an option to SWITCH OFF 5 GHz network, and go through manual setup of all devices eventually...

-> 192.168.1.254 (assuming HUB will be reset to default) -> advanced Settings -> Admin password from HUB login card (assuming again, it's back on factory settings) -> Wireless 

and there You could switch off 5 Ghz Wifi for a time, when You need only 2.4 GHz to have on, to allow You adapt device by device from Your Smart Home, to new HUB...

don't forget to switch back % Ghz, to have option use Your speed better 🙂

and NO, there is no option to have different names for 2.4 and 5 GHZ Wifi, it's same SSID

Or, If You prefer, simply change SSID (Wifi Network Name) and password to old settings = and devices will hook up to it (no option for You probably, whilst some devices You manually changed to new WiFi name already)

Thanks GosforthUK

I'll try that after the engineer has been this morning 

@GosforthUK 

The engineer didnt come and not sure if they fixed something at the switch or local box, however I spend a fairly productive morning on the phone to and EE support guide in the broadband team.

We reset the hub, checked through the settings and then  I added all the 'smart 'devices back onto the network all apart from the smart plugs. I bought a TP Link extender and set them up onto that otherwise it was impossible or a lengthy workaround to get them connected. I'd asked when agreeing to the new broadband if it was compatible with all smart devices and was told yes. The fact there is a problem with accessing 2.4GHz on the hub is certainly a problem without additional equipment.  

Having solved that I've started to get a wild swing in WiFi signal in the house and from 400MBs to 41MBS in the same room on different days and times. Also the upload on the 41MBs reading was 42MBs which i thought was unusual?

Any ideas or is anyone else experiencing these swings?