cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is My Router Being Jammed?

X-Wing
Visitor

Hi Guys,

Just after midnight a few days ago I noticed that my EE Smart Router had the green circle light change to a solid yellow light, meaning that the router had lost its link to the internet. I have two EE Smart Disks as well and so I rebooted the three of them. And when they came back the two EE Smart Disks showed solid blue lights, meaning normal service, but the EE Smart Router was still showing a solid yellow light. It took almost an hour and a half for the EE Smart Router light to turn back to a solid green, everything working again.

I contacted EE Tech Support the morning after this happened and they said that they didn't have any network outage and tested my line and EE hardware, and everything came back as okay.

However, in the EE Smart Router logs I've noticed the following types of entries that were logged during the outage and the date of the entries changed from Jul 5 for July 5, 2022, to Oct 1:

There are a lot of these in a block together 

PPP: Sending PADI

Then just a minute to midnight between Jul 4 and Jul 5 for nearly one minute there are lots of DoS(Port Scanning) messages and then all the PPP: Sending PADI messages along with some other messages start.

Are these above messages a sign that someone was using a jammer on my EE Smart Router?

And since July 5, I've been getting the DoS(Port Scanning) messages happen at different times of the day, and then over midnight and into the early hours of the mornings the PPP: Sending PADI messages. But I didn't know if the service went out as I was asleep.

And today July 7, DoS(SYN Flooding) messages, while I've been using my router this afternoon to work from home, and over lunchtime today, just for a minute my router went off again with the yellow flashing/solid light, but it went back to solid green. When I checked the logs I saw the different DoS messages mentioned above and the PADI messages, but these PADI messages only last a minute which coincides with the yellow light coming on the router.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. And if a jammer is being used, does anyone know how I can stop it taking out my EE Smart Router?

X-Wing

1 REPLY 1
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nobody's got control of your router. It's just reacting to normal events:

• Sending PADI: You line has discon'ed & it's just trying to re-establish connection.
  • DoS (Denial of Service): These attacks happen often at random from a external source & the router has detected them & bounced them.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)