cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faultless 1.6 Gbps EE Broadband drop 250-450 Mbps - after Super Hub+ FW upgrade

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The happy ex-BT customer here moved from BT FF900 to EE 1.6 Gbps "Busiest Home Broadband" back at end of the December...

Faultless service till today.. consistent 1590-1688 Mbps DOWN, 111-123 Mbps UP... 

After the supposed upgrade of FW on EE SuperHub Plus (2023) - SH31B, today my broadband it's sluggish and slow... As the upgrade was performed I am confident to say, that my EE SHP switched ON WiFi back, which I normally have switched OFF and this annoyingly happens EVERY SINGLE ONE FW UPGRADE with this... A separate issue, but nothing that I can change...

Speed to HUB is 285 to 450 Mbps down, 112 Mbps UP, ping from consistent 5-6 ms beforehand it's now on 30-270 ms...

All checks are done, including recommended power cycling ONT, HUB, etc etc etc.

Hub comes on back on 1.6 Gbps, and a minute later, drops down to 250-450 Mbps only, and no way to get it back...

Guide on 150 runs a few checks, blame as some pending/open order is still there (even I see that order on website as completed, and to be fair, my broadband was up and running flawlessly for last month and a half), nothing seems to be wrong on their end I was told... 

But Guide SEE as Speed to Hub it's as mentioned above...

Changed the UTP cable between ONT and HUB (I am using CAT 8.1 cables at all multiGig runs, and CAT6E cables for T1000 runs over the whole my setup), no help. Tried even EE-supplied CAT 5E cable, but no luck, same issue...

eliminated as issue will be with cables...

The issue is not with my internal network, which itself runs on TP-Link Omada equipment, whilst for a test, I do switch back on EE SHP internal WiFi, and this not performing any better, plus, as mentioned, SPEED TO HUB showing both on MyEE App, and for Guide on 150 as very low and affected, means, trouble must be either HUB itself (something got messed up with recent FW upgrade) or between ONT and Exchange Head must be some mixed up config (why this kick-off just with latest FW upgrade on EE SHP, not sure)...

FW on Hub is: r1.29.0-R-950306-PROD-83002 with GUI 1.11.0, and surprisedly, advanced settings -> Broadband no more showing up and downlink speed, instead, I see: 

Downstream: N/A

Upstream: N/A

Is anyone else with trouble after the last FW upgrade on SH31B Hub?

7 REPLIES 7
GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Actual status of "SPEED TO THE HUB" which both myself and EE Guide on 150 can see is like this:

1000046454.jpg

 whilst last 1 1/2 month was faultless like this:

1000044406.jpg

nothing changed whatsoever, only EE Smart Hub Plus (2023) SH31B upgraded FW overnight... 

and to add...

I do use still EE Super Hub Plus (2023) SH31B because NO ONE is able to provide the correct IPV6 settings (I am aware, EE Broadband (New) does not implement full IPV6, and using crippled BT "no-address" version with /56 instead, which makes it slightly difficult to just ditch EE SHP completely yet...

I do therefore, do not tested ONT at a moment with direct Omada TP-Link ER707-M2 router on it, instead EE SHP, whilst clearly, "SPEED TO HUB" it's affected, and to give EE chance identify problem, I NEED to have their HUB involved...

engineer visit was booked for Tuesday 🙂

Last engineer from OpenReach, which swap my ONT was like: "I never seen nothing like this at home environment" and actually give up beside of proclamation: "It's working, you get green light on the Hub", means I do not have too much hopes :))), but nobody expect them to sort my working internal network, whilst problem is on their part... 

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

after power cycling all for a good 5+ minutes, I got assigned a "strange" IPV4 address from BT from ASN range 82.162.111.xxx

I never before had this range assigned to me, usually held in range 86.167.XXX.xxx or 86.168.XXX.xxx, before with BT FF900 was usually 185.61.XXX.xxx or 86.161.XXX.xxx but never seen ASN from 2856 assigned to my connection.

Seems to me, as if something messed up with the profile, and ONT and/or EE SHP (2023) intentionally limiting downstream in line with the wrong profile, especially when speed originally hooks up right, but after 1 or 2 minutes drops down...

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Let's update a little...

- Guides on 150 insist, that ONT is in Fault, and the Engineer needs to check it, and eventually replace it...

I made them make a note, as will be beneficial, if the engineer has a replacement spare ONT with him, to avoid the need to go back and forward if replacement will be needed. 

Guessing, Guides don't get my sarcastic note, as also would be fine, if the engineer has his own screwdriver 🙂

To explain: when the original engineer arrived back in December, to swap my  1 GiG ONT to Multi-Gig ONT, he showed up just with ONT in his hands 🙂 and seems to be surprised, as the original ONT is behind the enclosure, closed by screw 🙂

- One of the Guides insisted, as there is no way, how they could possibly "push the right profile" to ONT or HUB, as per my request, and tried to tell me, as this already happens.

If such a thing happens, this involves a period of offline, whilst HUB needs to be restarted, and needs 24 hours to get trough at most, but usually happens much quicker...

Obviously, nothing like this happened, and my  HUB showed connected times in line with my own power cycling it, as instructed by Guides only...

- One of the Guides insisted, as there is nothing to be done, whilst my order was never finished and there is 2 pending orders.

- Another Guide, of the respective department was able to "cancel" these orders.

In fact, she pushed them through and then canceled them...

My estimated bill for the next period now shows 3 times higher amount, in line of:

1) existing service

2) first pending order

3) second pending order

This will be probably fun 🙂 later, but ANOTHER one Guide from Billing promised myself, as they will take care of it, and I will be for sure not charged triple amount 🙂

- ANOTHER Guide (I lost count of them) decided to use Video Link, to show them my setup to diagnose problems...

I guess, she quite was confused by it 🙂 especially when I went down the cables from EE hub, to my SEVERAL TP-Link OMADA devices (Router, Controller, POE Switch, Ordinary managed Switch), where we stop "tour de cables" :)))) and likely do not continue to other devices, like APs etc 🙂

She tried to blame on "too many devices are connected" and this might cause troubles:))))))

Excuse me? I have "busiest Home broadband" or whatever You choose to call 1.6 Gbps product FOR A REASON 🙂 and such, I believe, my up to 70 devices on the network should not be issue:))))

However, I was prepared for it, and tested DIRECT my OMADA router to ONT, and.. .ups, 1.6 Gbps down, NO PROBLEM AT ALL...

From which point, she ADMIT, as HUB will be issue, whilst direct connection to ONT is unaffected (how much I setup only IPV4, whilst still unsure about correct IPV6 settings - main reason why I using EE HUB as modem).

She push new settings (see above, I was repeatedly told as nothing like that is possible :)))) to the ONT and HUB, effectively RE-initialize the line again...

And just to be on the safe side, in case, as new setting (re-initialization) will not help, whilst HUB "might be faulty", she promised to despatch new EE SHP (2023) SH31B to swap devices.

She kept the engineer visit, in case, it will not help either...

AND...

My connection is back at normal speeds... speed to the HUB is 1692 Mbps at a moment, a few hours (approx 10) after we spoke and pushed settings through the network...

Conclusion: HUB after FW update failed to adapt the correct settings, and whilst an easy solution for this exists, SEVERAL EE GUIDES refused to do so... Most likely, I will receive today new HUB, and will need to replace the existing one, plus cancel the engineer visit eventually.

Absolute waste of my time with incompetent Guides, who refused to acknowledge problems troubleshooting to the point, as HUB was eliminated as only one faulty element in chain without doubt, and refused to push re-initialization through. Good hour and half yesterday on the 150 line or on call-back . What a mess...

Neil-O
EE Community Support Team

Hi, @GosforthUK I'm sorry to see that you experienced problems with your speed after a firmware update and the subsequent issues trying to get this resolved. 

I've sent you a private message so you can contact us with your details and we'll be happy to help with any outstanding issues.

Thanks

Neil 

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thank You @Neil-O as mentioned in at private message, I am awaiting the Engineer, and the new HUB (supposed to be here yesterday, to allow it to settle before the Engineer's visit...) will You contact if needed more help later...

That said, my line is operational, and having full 1620-1766 Mbps down, 111-123 Mbps up to the HUB, means, both new HUB and engineer is pointless (and ever were) and re-initialize of the line (pushing new/correct profile to ONT and HUB) was solution...

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Let's fire this with another update...

9:26 AM received message as Engineer it's on the way... Fine, let's see what he got 😜

Lovely fella showed up, and I made him aware from moment 0 as it's litelary pointless to try anything, while all already working just fine, after I made Guide on the phone to refresh/re-initialize my line (ONT/HU )...

We had Nice 15 minute chat, with some showcase of my system to him, and then he leaving...

Guess what?

It was BT Home Expert, which has NOTHING TO DO with potentially faulty ONT (as suggested originally by EE Guide) and obviously, if this was case, he can't do nothing with it (apart power cycle it, certainly not swap it)...

New HUB never arrived (even not now) and will more likely never arrive, because there is Absolutely NOT any order connected to new HUB to be sent out on my account.... 

Return bag, to sent back my existing EE HUB arrived (ups, lovely, and where is replacement?)...

However, service working and hopefully next FW upgrade will not break things again, or, they will be able read notes on my account to just simply re-initialize line to fix it...

I will contact you @Neil-O when I came back from work tonight, to take care about polishing all on my account (supposed replacement HUB - not really needed while fixed, return bag - not have nothing to return if I don't received new HUB, Tripple charge showing as my next bill estimate, and more importantly, to take look, why I am getting told, as I can't have Hybrid Connect, or EE TV because my 1.6 Gbps isn't compatible with it, when your colleague Darren from BT TV team insisting, as at least EE TV should be able to be ordered)...