cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREE BROADBAND For LIFE PROMISE

D-a-v-3
Explorer

Hi, Ive had one continuous unbroken account with Orange, Freeserve, Wannadoo, now EE.

Does anyone remember when; either Wannadoo, or Freeseve, distinctly promised FREE BROADBAND FOR LIFE?

I had Free BroadBand for Life, with them for a while, as part of my contract.

Then after a while the company reneged on their contractual obligation, and decided to state that I had to use their phone line, and pay them monthly bill. Then they completely reneged on their free broadband for life promise.

Anyone care to comment on that? Have the ombudsman ever taken them to task? 

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

There is a very long running thread over on Money Saving Expert should anyone need something to help get to sleep!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/230146/wanadoo-orange-to-offer-free-broadband-merged... 

Bit late to try and claim anything now, even if you could.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@D-a-v-3 : But it wouldn't have been the type of BB you have now. It would've been dial-up.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

No, it was broadband alright. Clues in the title.

Northerner
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Hi @D-a-v-3 

It will say in the contract somewhere this is subject / company retains the right to change/amend/cancel the contract. 

1. Those companies are no longer trading. 
  2. The technology offered at the time is no longer supported/offered and any continuation would result in such a change in service that it would void the original service becase of the cost and change in technology.  As a result their obligation come to a natural conclusion. 

But good luck at the ombudsman . 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Theres no tone on the interweb, i cant tell if thats meant to be smarmy?

But, if not, thanks.  Although the ombudsman wouldnt do much Im sure. They never do, for any industry.

Regards the rest of your post. You dont know what the contract stated. You dont know how the law would be applied. Neither do I but it would certainly be more complicated than your limited explanation.

Thanks.

@D-a-v-3  This is not customer service, you would have to speak to them, as we would not know here, and actually I have never heard of free broadband for life. Companies can also change and @Northerner was replying to your question and he was not smarmy either, nor am I.

Not sure the ombudsman would do anything either, as we all have to pay, nothing is free, apart from the air we breath, walking or running.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

There is a very long running thread over on Money Saving Expert should anyone need something to help get to sleep!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/230146/wanadoo-orange-to-offer-free-broadband-merged... 

Bit late to try and claim anything now, even if you could.

Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@D-a-v-3   I can guarantee they would’ve been a clause that started something alone the lines of “we reserve the right to cease this offer”.  You’re also stating companies that are no longer trading and or were taking over by other entities who do not have to honour the agreement that was offered at that time as it wasn’t offered by them. 

I’ve just done a quick Internet search and I’m reading that you had to have a phone line and with that you had a broadband package, but you had to have your phone line at a set rate.  So the phone line covered the cost of the BB in essence,     And any company that bought out another company had the right to terminate or cease any offers that were provided by the previous company,   

The important thing to remember is if you upgraded then obviously you loose that offer so if you ever changed your BB package at anytime since then the offer you once had isn’t applicable any more. 

Mmmmm, to a degree, and I guess a court would probably side with you, now, because its been a long time, but there will be some tort, or old case, or precedent that you could use to argue, Im guessing, where-by a company would/should have to honour certain elements of previous agreements if it is taking over pre existing contracts of people who have expectations based upon promises, etc,etc,etc...yes im being a teensie bit pedantic....but im old and grumpy.

D-a-v-3
Explorer

Thankyou all for your input.