Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme lag spikes with new Smart fibre router

richardchenn
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Openreach recently helped my household install a new router, the white Smart Router with a fibre connection. But ever since we switched to this new router, the WiFi has been dodgy. Especially during gaming. Although download speeds have increased, there are crazy amounts of lag spikes during gaming now. In every single game I play, there's a massive lag spike that occurs at least twice every 10s that goes up to 400ms. I did a ping test and the same results occurred. No game is playable anymore unless its offline.

I have tried multiple ways to try fix this such as flushing DNS, buying a new wifi adapter on my PC (although it occurs on my phone too), and switching back to 2.4GHZ from 5GHZ and nothing worked at all. 

I really hope I receive a response to help our household solve this issue. The lag spikes are consistent and nonstop. It makes everything unplayable because in the game it's just filled with rubber banding and freeze lag. This never happened with our old router.  

11 REPLIES 11

To summarise it, it averages between 13-16ms then every 40 seconds or so jumps up to 6-700 for a few packets! 

AerieD_0-1713467288599.png

AerieD
Investigator
Investigator

For what it's worth, I have managed to fix the issue, but I still believe this to be a fault with the SmartHub.

Disabling Windows' WLAN Auto Configuration has done the trick (Command Prompt > netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="[WiFiConnectionName]" )

Although this requires me to do so every time I start up my PC (in order to see Wireless networks, connect to mine, then disable it again). I've tried this on both my old and new WiFi adapters to success - but note that it is not required on the BT SmartHub I was using prior to my switch over. I can only assume there is something in the response that comes from the EE SmartHub when my PC is scanning for connections that is causing the regular drop.