cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Smart Hub and Compatible WIFI for Sonos S1 and S2

nal3
Investigator
Investigator

So I just got the new EE Smart Hub, which seems to have a 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz network running concurrently. It has replaced an old Virgin system which I routed though a Unifi Dream Machine and created separate 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz networks. I have a lot of Sonos kit running on an S1 and a separate S2 network. They seemed to work fine once I had connected them to the UDM 2.4Ghz network, but I cannot seem to get a connection with the new Smart Hub - it fails at the finl connection point and boy have I tried many times! I notice there are a few settings on the Advanced Settings area of Hub Manager, but none which allow a split into 2. There is also a Wifi 6 Compatibility setting which looks possible but not sure what other impact that has.

I am missing my Sonos already after a day of Smart Hub. I am happy to try anything to get the two Sonos Lamps and a Play 3 up and running - including using the Unifi daisy chained in some way to the EE Smart Hub to create its own 2.4Ghz network if that is possible.

Any advice much appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@nal3  which broadband brodct do you have?

You could try turning the 5Ghz band off on the EE router temporarily and connect the sonas that way.

Also have you opted for EE's Digital Voice? 

I have just been provisioned EE Full Fibre 500, and have been given the EE Smart Hub Plus.

Thanks for the idea - I will give that a go and see if it connects the Play 3 over Wifi. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

I don't believe I have opted for Digital Voice btw - should I? What does it do?

nal3
Investigator
Investigator

Mustrum - your tip was a good one, albeit very painful to get working still. I had a Sonos Play 3, and two Symonfisk Sonos Lamps to put on to an S2 Sonos controller. The main problem is that the controller and the Sonos speakers need to be on the same network, and indeed that does need to be 2.4Ghz seemingly for it to connect.

You start by switching all the speakers off and come out of the Sonos App on your phone/tablet. You go into the EE Smart Hub Settings Page and you Edit Settings and turn off 5Ghz. Then save and reboot the router. 

You then go into the Sonos App and turn on your first speaker - in my case a Play 3. As it happened, I had connected that via Ethernet previously, and so it appeared on the new Sonos network I had set up. That perhaps speeded things up. After that, you need to Amend/Add the Play 3 product on the new network using the "Fix It" message which should have appeared on the App. It is about a 4 or 5 step process then and you finally get to connect to the same EE network as your App is running on.

If you run into issues, and this definitely solves it, turn off the speaker, reboot the router, turn the speaker back on and start the App again. The router reboot seems to clear out the issues.

Annoyingly, every time you then add another product, you have to reboot the router. It simply doesn't like adding a new product without that. It worked for each of the lamps each time I rebooted.

Thus, after about an hour, the three products were working. I grouped them and that all worked too. I then switched 5Ghz back on, kept my fingers crossed, and sure enough the grouped products all worked.

I remain convinced another problem is coming, and definitely one when I try and set up the S1 network for the older Sonos kit, but so far so good - big thanks to Mustrum 🙂

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@nal3  Digital Voice is just a landline via the router.

But as you don't have it if your Unifi Dream Machine can be configured as PPOE then it could be conected direct to the ONT then doing away with the EE router.,

Settings below:

Full Fibre
Connection type: Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)
Broadband username or login name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Broadband password: BT (or leave blank)
Authentication: CHAP
DNS:

Auto or Obtain from ISP (we'll automatically provide these when you connect)

https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/getting-started/using-and-configuring-a-third-party-router#article-h... 

@nal3 @Mustrum - Had same issues with 3 x Sonos 1 speakers. Followed your suggestions and seemed to work even after the 5Gh was turned back on and router rebooted.  The only other change I made was to set the security to WPA-WPA2-Personal. 

Big thanks to both of you. 😁

Roberg01
Visitor

Factory reset your Sonos speakers and set them up again, that should do the trick

JFCRP
Visitor

Hi all,

Stumbled across this post whilst searching for help with issue(s) I'm facing since new EE Broadband installed a couple of weeks back ...

I have a Sonos 5.1 setup - Arc, Sub (Gen 3), 2 x ERA 100's - have assumed these are all working fine since EE Smart Hub activation last month, turns out the last few days constant issues, drop out - Sonos App shows me the spanner icon against my system.

I've tried everything here, seems there's some conflict between 2.4ghz and switching 5ghz back on - I'm on 900MB Fibre, getting close to this on 5ghz only - 2.4ghz 100mbps max on devices, so feels frustrating to have to switch off 5ghz to have Sonos kit stand a chance of working ...

I'm wondering has there been a software update by EE Smart Hub or Sonos in the past week causing a conflict, I'm sure it was working fine first few days ...

Considering swapping out the EE Smart Hub for our previous Deco X50 ... any thoughts?

nal3
Investigator
Investigator

I'm not sure I can be much  more help, other than say that since I did as above, everything has been working fine. The EE Smart Hub does seem to enable concurrent 5Ghz and 2.4GHz connections, and the Sonos system I have now set up is working better than it was before with my old (very good) Unifi Dream Machine Router. I got a Sonos Move 2 since and that is working very well even though some way from the router

That said, I have decommissioned all my early Sonos Products - 3 ZP 100 Amps - albeit I have now connected 2 to a Bluetooth adaptor and speakers to prolong their life. 

If you have early Sonos kit which only works on S1 Controller, that could be a problem but I don't think you do.

I have a lot of devices on the EE Hub  - TVs, Sonos, multiple phones and tablets, firesticks and multiple other Wireless enabled things - all seem to work well fingers crossed.

Sorry I couldn't be more help