cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 1.6gbps - Question relating to fibre modem and supplied Hub

Ultrabeat
Contributor
Contributor

I have ordered the 1.6gbps package from EE which should be going live on 5th December. 

I am currently on BT's Full Fibre 900, so already have the small white fibre model box in my home, but what I would like to know is if this Fibre modem is actually capable of speeds greater than 1gbps, or if an engineer will be needing to change this on the day?

I guess second to this, is the new EE Hub also the modem? I use my own networking equipment and I am trying to prepare what I need to be able to support the upgrade on day one. I know I will be able to put the EE Hub in bridge mode if this is the case, I am just also unsure how many 2.5g ports the new hub has?

37 REPLIES 37

I am moving from BT 900 package to EE 900 package.  When I was speaking to the guy on customer services who did this for me, he asked if I wanted to upgrade to the EE 1600 package for an extra £20pm.  I declined as I dont think I need it.

johnnyuk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have an EE Mobile account on the number above - all good there.

I had BT Broadband FTTP 900 for the last couple of years, paying £69.99 per month- all good there!

Then the "new EE" was launched offering 1.6Gbps FTTP connection.

I called you on launch day and was told that to get the new 1.6G service, I would have to "transfer from BT to EE" - then I could make arrangements to move to the new 1.6G service for £69.99 (the Busiest Home product).

So, I agreed to move across to EE (I realise you are all one company now) but the initial monthly payment would be £71.99.  That was fine, as I'd been told I could move to the faster, but cheaper 1.6G service if I transferred from BT to EE.

I received all the EE equipment (none of which I use - I'm a network engineer and have my own router etc).  

All is working, as it's the same fibre for BT as it is EE, but....

I've been told that I CANNOT move to the 1.6G service, as "re-grading isn't working right now", so now I'm stuck on a more expensive monthly tariff having moved to EE with no way of moving to the new faster 1.6G service.

I spoke to someone in EE/BT complaints and was advised to order a new line - I have done this using a different email address: 

According to your website, I CAN get 1.6G service at my address.  So my NEW account number is:  GB28688952 and the new order is BTC0000360753.

You are now sending me more equipment (which I won't use) and an engineer visit has been arranged for 1st December.

So, I have no idea what will happen when the engineer sees that I already have FTTP connected!

What do I want?  I would like the 1.6Gbps service for £69.99 per month as originally promised.

Thanks for listening!

John

juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

But will that not mean they will turn up to provision a new fibre line in and not touch your current fibre line?   And also would you not be paying for 2 fibre connections, as your original fibre would be in contract still unless EE have agreed to cancel it without penalty?

If they did agree to work on your current fibre line, then likely ONT would be swapped out for one that is capable of 1.6G as I would expect your current one is outdated.

johnnyuk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Maybe. I have zero confidence anything will happen, inc the engineer visit....

The rest can be sorted

Does your Fibre ONT support more than 1gbps? Or are you using your own fibre modem?

@Ultrabeat : You wouldn't be using a fibre modem if you're on FTTP. You'll have an ONT.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
johnnyuk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have a 1Gbps ONT connected to my own router via PPPoE

Is this not why you can't get more than 1gbps until and engineer comes out though? You need one of the new 2.5gbe ONT's

johnnyuk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If by "one", you mean me, then yes, I need a new ONT that supports 2.5Gbps back to the Hub / Router.

If you mean in general, then yes, folks will need an up to date ONT to get the faster service, and if they have one already, then it should be a simple change at EE / BT's end and shouldn't need an engineer visit in person.

chipmunk77
Contributor
Contributor

Had mine installed today, pretty smooth sailing really - was kinda dreading it after reading above, but no problems. Ordered entirely online, 2 weeks later engineer comes to replace ONT with a 2.5gbit model, and it's working immediately.

"Only" getting 1400ish on the router speedtest, but i think that's because its maxxed out single core. Need to get a 2.5gbit nic for my PC to get the full speed.