cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to fix Mobile Broadband not working with work VPN other providers OK

SJMUK007
Investigator
Investigator

Hi please can someone help I have literally tried everything I can problem is complicated by not being able to speak to EE directly due to contract being through third party who installed aeriel etc...

Rural location, poor land line broadband - 10Mbps/<1Mbps.  Had aeriel and EE mobile broadband installed by third party. I get very decent speeds 60Mbps+/20Mbps on EE - delighted. Speed falls to hardly anything when I run work VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) making VPN unusable HOWEVER CONNECTING TO SAME VPN OUT OF HOURS and the speed is very good. Question throttling during office hours???

Have tried almost all possible configurations on supplied TP-Link MR600 e.g. disabled SmartConnect, turned off IPv6, different bands etc however a lot of settings e.g. port forwarding , static IP etc... are not configurable or have no effect as locked by arrangement between third party supplier and EE.

This is the killer... through the supplier I can try Three and O2 AND BOTH NETWORKS WORK WITH MY WORK VPN FINE but average speeds are generally slower 30Mbps/20Mbps than through EE who I am keen to stay with..

There's no sign of fibre so 4G broadband is my only reasonable option other than Starlink which is a bit pricey.  I could change the router at my own cost I spose but reluctant to do that.

Can some one who really knows why this is happening advise urgently please??? Clock is ticking with supplier for me to resolve.

Many thanks in a lot of desperation.

10 REPLIES 10
SJMUK007
Investigator
Investigator

Forgot to say if I turn router firewall off VPN during office hours works fine over EE - obviously I am unable to leave it off.

Thanks

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SJMUK007,

Have you tried reaching out to your VPN provider to see if they're aware of any issues using their service during peak times?

James

Thanks - I've searched various forums but not directly contacted the VPN provider, the VPN is run through my work and the IT dept have been involved and can't see a problem. We are a v large organisation and they have not seen this before.

Still hoping for an answer on this forum 😞 though looking unlikely.

SJMUK007
Investigator
Investigator

IT appears to be CGNAT used by EE preventing static IP address use. I'm going to have to switch to another provider. Appauling.

CGNAT wouldn't make a working configuration run a diff speeds throughout the day. It would stop a particular configuration working completely. Where are you using a static public IP?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi thanks for reply. My work VPN is the issue and an IP might be needed (no idea why out of hours is better might be red herring) I am able to connect with ok speed using O2 and Three SIMs provided by broadband installer. As soon as I use EE SIM the VPN crawls <0.1Mbps. But I get 70Mbps+ on EE off the VPN normal internet so keen to stay EE. O2 and Three don’t use CGNAT so can only think this is the cause and mentioned in lots of forums. Pls help 🙂

O2 do use CGNAT. I'm on it now. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Ok are u looking in to it further please?