cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDNS on new black EE router

mbr32
Explorer

Hey

Brand new customer to EE, have the Black no logo router with Full Fibre 900.

i cannot find within the settings anywhere to add my no-ip DDNS login details so I can finish my home setup.

any ideas where I can find this?

thanks in advance

24 REPLIES 24
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@garywood84 - all I know is that it should be returning in a future firmware drop. I'd be surprised if it's absence is down to the simple fact of just not being toggled on.

Have you considered the client software option as a temporary workaround, or is your computer not up 24/7? I'm in a similar boat and have been using NoIP's desktop client instead. 

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks @bobpullen.

I really hope that it comes back soon. It's really frustrating having moved over from BT where the Smart Hub 2 provided this functionality, and now finding that it's not available. I wouldn't have moved over if I'd known I'd have this problem. (I realise I could use the SH2, but the only real benefit of moving over was to get Wifi 6, so if I use the old router, I'll just be paying more for the same service as I had before).

I have used the desktop client as a temporary workaround, but it's not a good long term solution. Is there a feature request page for EE anywhere, so we can make sure that your engineers are aware of demand for this functionality to come back?

I've just moved from BT with a static IP to EE, to find no static IP option, and no dynamic dns! What a nightmare! I would never have switched if I realised this was missing.

Worse still, BT says they CAN'T have me back as a customer because they have no spare slots in their routing cabinet!!

Either Static IP -OR- dynamic DNS are essential for me and neither are provided with EE. And I'm stuck into a 24 month contract. This is a bloody nightmare!

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Its simply not true that you can't move back to BT, because nothing in the routing cabinet has changed in the move from BT to EE. I'd try again, if I were you.

Kinglambert
Visitor

Has anyone received an update from EE regarding the lack of DNS settings in the Smart Hub Plus?

I've just received my "upgrade" today and I'm about to pack it up, send it back and buy my own hardware 

SteveinIoW
Explorer

Today I attempted moving from BT to a new  EE Smart hub SH31B.......

Frustrated, ammazed and utterly annoyed that this router does not have DDNS.  Having numerous IOT devices (thermostats/cameras) and renuewable energy  equipment that require access via my external IP address,  this is a total pain in the backside!

I've used No-IP for years, I pay for a DDNS service i can no longer use unless i leave a PC on 24/7 to update the DDNS service. Thats completely rubbish and a backwards step.

I saw DDNS was in the Broadband menu at the initial setup then following firmware update ( r1.19.1-R-898041-PROD-83002)  hey presto, DDNS is gone!  

So EE  dont offfer fixed IP addresses and there is no DDNS.  umm, thats not  useful!

This is complete pain for me, I plan to head to customer services tomorrow but Im currently thinking this may all end up going back if I cant get access to DDNS. 

EE - Will this be addressed in some imminent future Firmware update??

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@SteveinIoW wrote:

EE - Will this be addressed in some imminent future Firmware update??

This is my understanding.

‎as I just posted elsewhere fyi...

This morning EE tech support called me back regarding my questions of DDNS being removed and they stated....

"DDNS functionality will not be available in any any residential Broadband hardware going forward.

It has already  been removed from new firmwares released to the SH31b Smart Hub Plus, AND from firmware on newer revisions of the SH2 (I had previously asked about chance of having an SH2 instead). Some existing SH2s will support it and those will 'probably' continue to do so but new shipped SH2s will not support DDNS. "

Also, it was confirmed to me that the access to the USB socket for network storage will also no longer be supported on EE BB router hardware.

My view!

BT sold the move to  EE an 'upgrade' upon our  BT contract expiring. My backside is this an upgrade!  "You will get the latest  new SH3 PLUS"  they said! , PLUS???

Speed is completely irrelevant in our usage. I'm now left with no DDNS to remotely access our heating thermostats, Solar equipment and IP wildlife cameras.  I have enough skills to mess around, get other hardware and code ESP32s etc. BUT this is a completely ridiculous backwards step. Some people use DDNS services and will still have to use DDNS. It would be far neater, more convenient  and expected INSIDE the router.  

And then going forward (backwards?)  EE and the SH31  will not longer support the connection of shared  storage via the hubs USB socket.  For years we have used the USB and a flash stick  to share non important files and music etc across all our devices, flawlessly and  so useful.

No doubt this is driven by corporate security and litigation paranoia. People will still use DDNS services, still share files across the network. It sounds like Hardware functionality will be dumbed down to the lowest and safest level.  Quite what is the 'Plus' in this hub??? 

My bodge at the moment is I have an Arduino /  ESP8266 sitting on the Wifi running a no-ip DDNS update service..it works but what a bodge for something that is and should be in nearly every router!

EE ..sorry, this is rubbish

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing this update @SteveinIoW1.

It's a shame if DDNS doesn't come back, although I'll remain optimistic until my Executive Complaints Manager finishes reviewing my case. Other staff from BT/EE in these fora have suggested DDNS will return, and if I've learnt anything in the couple of months since moving to EE from BT, it's that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at EE...

Neil-O
EE Community Support Team

Hi, @SteveinIoW1 I've checked this with the Hub team and can confirm that DDNS will be coming back in a future firmware update. At the moment I can't provide you with a timescale, but I've been advised it will return. I'm sorry you were provided with incorrect information when you raised this with customer service, I've asked that the helpdesks be made aware.

Thanks

Neil