cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband router reboots

Kriesch
Investigator
Investigator

Can anybody tell why my router cycles (reboots) everyday at the same time (9pm)? Are these planned outages?

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Kriesch   Very unlikely to be planned outages, more likely to be some kind of local interference. 

Does anything happen at that time, do you have any timer switching something one then, could it be street lights, or maybe local business turning lights on?

In the mean time, which router do you have?

Are you able to log into it and share the WAN activity log? We can help more if we know which router.

Hope this helps get you thinking about something that may help us narrow things down.

Hi Mustrum,

Thanks for your response.

We did think that it may be linked to a local event, but there  isn’t anything obvious that happens at that time.

The router is an EE Smart Hub.

How do I check WAN log?

Thanks, Kriesch

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you really mean it reboots itself (v. unlikely) or just that it keeps reconnecting? What colours are the light sequence when this happens?

Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi XRaySpex,

thanks for your reply.

It’s not a cold reboot, it appears to be a warm reboot, like it starts the connection cycle.
The sequence includes flashing yellow, then flashing blue then constant blue when reconnected.

I’ll get the data asap.

That's a re-sync, not a reboot. Just the line going down for some reason.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)