cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Xiaomi 11T Pro - Wi-Fi calling disconnects every 50 minutes exactly

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have the Xiaomi 11T Pro on an EE monthly SIM.  All works great except for Wi-Fi calling.

Wi-Fi calling will connect back to EE servers but at exactly 50 minutes (that time span must mean something to someone technical) since connecting it drops the connection.  The phone reconnects itself after 10 or 15 seconds, only to drop again 50 minutes later.

I can monitor this on my router in real time and see the connection on port 4500 to EE drop at the point it starts exchanging ISAKMP packets for CREATE_CHILD_SA.  

The same SIM in other Android devices will connect to Wi-Fi calling for tens of hours.  I've a second device connected to EE and can watch that remain connected whilst the Xiaomi drops.

Suffice to say if I'm on a call at that 50 minute boundary the call drops.

I had a similar issue with a Pixel 2 XL started dropping the connection every 25 minutes exactly which was eventually fixed by EE.

I would be very grateful if this could be passed to someone in the tech team perhaps.  I can provide packet capture logs if that helps.  Of course it may well be a problem with the Xiaomi.  I'm probably not alone with this issue with these devices but most people will just think it is a random drop without realising it is always on 50 minute boundaries.

Many thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @PhilipL 

I would suggest posting on the Xiaomi forums for help 

https://xiaomi.eu/community/

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Check your Battery Savings Settings or any Apps you have related to save Battery, also check, although probably unrelated if it's exactly 50mins, that your phone Signal isn't jumping between 5G / 4G or even 3G, or switch off 5G off on the Phone, is it still the same.

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Northerner Thanks, and I've added a post there to see if they modify any of the related code from the stock ROM to see if it is worth trying (requires unlocking as the ROMS are no official and they aren't Xiaomi).  

I've raised a ticket in the device itself but had, rather unsurprisingly, have yet to get a response.  As I had exactly the same issue (but 25 minute drops and not 50) start on a Pixel device which then got fixed by some changes at EEs side, I thought it was worth raising the issue here.

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@EssexBoyEE Yes I've checked out the battery settings.  However this happens when the device is plugged in and charging (when battery management is not in play), and it happens in airplane mode (so no mobile signal at all). I've also continually pinged the phone and no packets are lost over that 50 minute boundary to suggest it is a connectivity problem over Wi-Fi.

It seems to be at the point the established VPN used by Wi-Fi calling needs to refresh the connection/security keys, and at that point it fails.

I've tried looking in the Android logs of the phone but it doesn't show any information to what the error is at that 50 minute mark, all it shows is an event from a qualcomm driver saying the connection is down, and then the logs are just full of IMS closing messages and then IMS messages about creating a new connection, and the 50 minute cycle continues. 

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just to add to this in case anyone is having a similar issue and wonders if trying a different ROM would help.  I've wiped and tried the Global ROM from Xiaomi and that has exactly the same issue of disconnecting every 50 minutes.

I've also raised this with Xiaomi but no response after a couple of weeks.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @PhilipL,

I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Care so our Tech Gurus can run through some diagnostics with you and raise a support ticket from their end if needed.

They'll be happy to help. 🙂

James

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@James_B  Many thanks, have been on chat but they said as they don't sell these phones they can't do a lot and I should be grateful it works for 50 minute stints 🙂

They have reset some network settings and I received a text message to say reboot the phone so we'll see if that has done anything.

I had a Pixel 2 XL that would disconnect every 25 minutes after it had been working for some time okay on EE, which I raised with tech and eventually it was fixed from EEs side, and this new one happens to be 50 minutes, coincidentally 25 x 2.  I'm fortunate as I've got a router where I can easily filter and see the ongoing VPN connection on port 4500 and so see it is dropping every 50 minutes, however most people with the same issue will just chalk it up to Wi-Fi calling being unreliable, which is a shame as when it is working without such issues it is pretty good.

We will see how it goes, perhaps a technician will notice in the logs there are a number of devices dropping regularly and then connecting back up and a fix will be implemented.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

No problem @PhilipL

Please keep us updated.

James

PhilipL
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just a quick update, the reset network settings I received did not fix the issue, with a drop again at exactly 50 minutes.