cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

What happens to my current SIM while waiting for a new SIM?

Amin92
Explorer

Hi, 

I completed a 24 month 4G 30GB contract last year and I've been on a month to month contract since that 24 month contract ended. Today is the last day of my billing month for Feb-March and I'm considering upgrading to a SIM only 24 month 5G Unlimited Data Plan to use with my current phone (Huawei P20 Pro). Having got to the checkout page, it dawned on me that I will need a new physical SIM because I'm going onto a 5G plan from my current 4G plan, even though I won't be able to use 5G on my current phone. 

My question is, if I order the upgrade today, will I still be able to use data on my existing SIM between the order being placed and the time I receive the new SIM, bearing in mind that my data resets at midnight tonight?

Also, how will my bill be calculated for the first month of my upgraded plan if I use my current plan for the few days it takes my new SIM to arrive?

Thank you. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @Amin92 and welcome to the EE community

it dawned on me that I will need a new physical SIM because I'm going onto a 5G plan from my current 4G plan, even though I won't be able to use 5G on my current phone. 

This may have been correct for a 3G migration in the past, but is no longer true.

EE SIMs are capable of working on all radio technologies from 2G>5G, all you are doing is a simple change of payment plan which will include enabling 5G access on your existing SIM.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @Amin92 and welcome to the EE community

it dawned on me that I will need a new physical SIM because I'm going onto a 5G plan from my current 4G plan, even though I won't be able to use 5G on my current phone. 

This may have been correct for a 3G migration in the past, but is no longer true.

EE SIMs are capable of working on all radio technologies from 2G>5G, all you are doing is a simple change of payment plan which will include enabling 5G access on your existing SIM.

Thanks bristolian,

So that means once the order goes through, the upgrade will be seamless on my current SIM? 

If you were to make this change over the phone to a C/S agent, it is normally effective immediately and your bill will have pro-rata credits & charges to reflect the mid-bill-cycle change.

If you make the change online, it may take a day or so to be manually actioned, but otherwise the same concept should apply.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.