cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

V Poor phone signal and no phone line for broadband at my static caravan.

Tarannau77
Contributor
Contributor

I have a static caravan located in a valley in Cornwall and I am struggling to get a reliable and stable Internet connection. A local company have installed a repeater on the side of my static caravan that picks up the signal from a local tower they manage with a BT fibre connection which is supposed to be capped at 20 Mbps. I would be very happy if I was getting that service but every evening the signal drops to practically nothing and I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps. I am looking for a Internet solution where I can stream Netflix and other TV services as well as using the Internet for Wi-Fi calling as there is no phone signal. I am not playing games online so would not describe myself as a heavy user.

My contract with EE comes with unlimited data and I have used the mobile hotspot on my phone to provide access to the Internet for my other devices when I have been travelling. Would it be possible to install something that will pick up an EE phone signal so I can use my hotspot on my phone as my Internet connection, providing Wi-Fi for my other devices? Or is there a more elegant solution available. I really am at my wits end. All suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you in advance....

Nick 

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Tarannau77

Does your phone internet work OK in your static caravan? From your last paragraph, I suspect not. We do sell a 4GEE WiFi router with an external antenna. However, that's designed really for areas where you get a good outdoor coverage but struggle with indoor coverage.

Do you get a signal when you stand outside of the bulding?

Chris

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Tarannau77 ,

In addition to the above checks, how does your location look on cellmapper.net for this and other service providers?

If the entire locality is red, it may set a more realistic expectation for what can be accomplished.

The above query regarding the outdoor signal is also useful.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk wrote:

Hi @Tarannau77 ,

In addition to the above checks, how does your location look on cellmapper.net for this and other service providers?

For a straightforward comparison of alternate providers, I would recommend the Ofcom checker first & foremost. CM is good for many things, but it's not user-friendly for a simple coverage check.

Edited to add: The OP has mentioned in their first post about not considering themselves a heavy user, but also that they want to use streaming services. Live streaming video that could potentially be HD-standard, could easily qualify as being a heavy user!

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What do you mean by having a BT Fibre connection thro' a repeater from a mobile mast? The 2 things are a contradiction in terms. Besides you say you have no landline.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi Chris would it be possible to have more information on the mobile broadband with Antenna please that sounds exactly what I need

regards 

sandra

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Sandylang63,

Please see shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/4g-home-broadband for more information. 

Hope this helps.

James