cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unlock paygo phone after SIM has expired

Boxey11
Investigator
Investigator

I have been given a phone which was on EE but the Paygo SIM expired (wasn't used for many months) - I want to use a different network but when I put the new network SIM in the phone, it is locked.

I cannot contact EE customer services because the old phone number is not recognised (as it has expired) and it seem sthere is no way to speak with EE unless you have a live phone number.

I would appreciate any ideas about how to sort this out, I had thought about using one of the unlocking services but it's expensive when compared to the cost of the phone - its a Doro 5030

I seem to have put this in the wrong section in the forum - could an admin move it to the correct section

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Boxey11 : You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the quick reply - I will give it a go tomorrow 

The good news is that the phone was given to me by a family member and I know that they bought it new from EE, so it's not stolen!!

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & hope it soon gets sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I got the unlock code from Customer Services within the day but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work - tried it twice just to be sure I hadn't made a mistake with entering the numbers but no luck. I have emailed back to the unlock team at EE for advice so I am now waiting on their reply.

I now have 8 attempts left to enter the code (I assume the phone will be completely locked if I run out of chances) but any thoughts on what the problem is. 

I have put the new sim in the phone, switched it on and get a message saying please enter the NP code (which I think is the same as the unlock code) - entered the code I got from EE and it says the code is incorrect.

Customer services gave me two ways to enter the code - one was as described above, the other is below - I have tried the method below but I cannot enter the unlock code at step 3 - it is just a menu with 2 options Lock/Unlock (I cannot select unlock either) 

1.    With or without EE SIM card inserted, press *#13646633#

2.    Select “Network personalization”

3.    Enter Unlocking Code

4.    Select “Unlock” and press “OK”

5.    The phone is now unlocked. Please insert your alternate network sim card.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

I'd suggest speaking to our Mobile Care team so that they can check the code with our unlocking team, @Boxey11

Hopefully they can get to the bottom of what the problem is.

Chris