cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Switching to a Spanish number?

Lisa6297
Investigator
Investigator

So have been in Spain for 3 months now and all is working fine with my EE and roaming.  However, I will be here permanently so may have to switch to a Spanish number or at least have the Spanish code (and transport mobile number I've had for over 20 years, which I'm reluctant to do).  I have built up great benefits with boosts for data and minutes and want to hold onto this element.  However, in Spain it is still Orange (who I was with originally in the UK before the merger to EE).

Are Orange and EE still 'linked' and would I be able to keep my boosted benefits?

Also, as most of my contacts are still, and will continue to be, in the UK would switching actually be detrimental?  Roaming is great for now, with the Brexit/Covid issues, but that may change going forward.

Any advice is more than welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @Lisa6297 

EE is a UK operator, and part of the BT Group.

It is a different company entirely to Orange-Spain.

You should be aware of the "Stable links policy" for EE roaming, which requires you to be in the UK for - broadly - 2months out of every 4.

Thanks for that info Bristolian, hadn't considered the requirement to be in UK for some months per year.

It looks like I'll lose all my booster benefits, which is a shame.  So, maybe, my other option would be to switch/transfer my account, with the boosts, to my Son in the UK as I've read somewhere that this is possible to give your account to someone else.  However, he's had the same number from day dot of having a mobile.

Best now do some research on the best provider in Spain.

If anyone else wishes to chip in that'd be great.

@Lisa6297 wrote:

So, maybe, my other option would be to switch/transfer my account, with the boosts, to my Son in the UK as I've read somewhere that this is possible to give your account to someone else.  However, he's had the same number from day dot of having a mobile.

You can transfer ownership/legal responsibility for your pay-monthly account to any adult who is willing and able to pass the credit check.

The process to do so is explained under "How do I transfer to a friend, colleague or family member" on this EE help page.

The only difference from that article is that the call to "donate" the account can be separate from the call to "receive" the account - a unique code is given, which the recipient then quotes to the C/S agent when they call.