cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Sim only mini wifi

nortonp
Investigator
Investigator

Help please,I have recently joined EE as their network is so large,we are very rural and the broadband is rubbish so I went for a sim operated mini wifi router which is still slow,any suggestions as to how to speed this thing up its driving me nuts.

15 REPLIES 15
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@nortonp  what’s the signal like outside?  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @nortonp 

What sort of speeds are you getting? As @Chris_B has suggested, if you're getting a signal on the device then there's no technical reason you shouldn't automatically achieve the best speeds possible - which depend on the capacity & load on the network in your area.

Hi Chriss can’t really give you an accurate reply I’m afraid as we only use the sim for WiFi and not calls etc,regards Phil

Sent from my iPhone
Hi and thanks for your message,we are getting about 4 MPs and it fluctuates making it really awkward to use the online tv services

Sent from my iPhone
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nortonp

Welcome to the community.

What does the coverage checker estimate your 4G coverage should be like in your area?

Have you tried moving the router to different areas of the property?

Chris

Fluctuating speeds can be indicative of the traffic levels on the network in your area varying. In other words, more people online and also using data in your area. Is your device reporting a consistent signal?

Which online TV services are you using? There may be options to reduce the quality of the videos if you're struggling for speed.

Hi,it has failed totally a couple of times recently but normally its just a weak signal,we like to watch the box sets on More 4
According to the coverage checker we have a strong signal but then it says we won't get any service on 5g 4g 3g or 2g so I have no idea,we have moved the router around the house and it vary's from a medium signal to none tr all.

If the coverage checker is predicting that you should get a strong signal, it wouldn't also say that you won't get any service.

It sounds as though you could potentially be in a poor coverage area, but without knowing specifics (this is a public forum so I don't advise posting your details) it's tricky to be certain.

Do you get a better signal outside your home - are you only having problems inside?