cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Over charged by £312.84

Muddyv890
Investigator
Investigator

Iv been overcharged by £312.84 fof my mobilr bill from September 2020 untill October 2021, i have only noticedovercharging today, phoned EE and complained and they have said my fault for noth checking bill and offered me £20 good will gesture. I obviously refused and was told if i didn't expect it would progress to deadlock and my complaint would be cancelled and id get nothing. I said i would not accept £20 and asked for my case to be escalated, Ee representative escalated case. Iv just had message to say complaint is in deadlock and has been closed.

7 REPLIES 7
Muddyv890
Investigator
Investigator
  1. Iv been overcharged by £312.84 fof my mobilr bill from September 2020 untill October 2021, i have only noticedovercharging today, phoned EE and complained and they have said my fault for noth checking bill and offered me £20 good will gesture. I obviously refused and was told if i didn't expect it would progress to deadlock and my complaint would be cancelled and id get nothing. I said i would not accept £20 and asked for my case to be escalated, Ee representative escalated case. Iv just had message to say complaint is in deadlock and has been closed.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Muddyv890 : You may now escalate it to EE's ADR, Ombudsman Services.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Muddyv890
Investigator
Investigator

Iv been overcharged by £312.84 fof my mobilr bill from September 2020 untill October 2021, i have only noticedovercharging today, phoned EE and complained and they have said my fault for noth checking bill and offered me £20 good will gesture. I obviously refused and was told if i didn't expect it would progress to deadlock and my complaint would be cancelled and id get nothing. I said i would not accept £20 and asked for my case to be escalated, Ee representative escalated case. Iv just had message to say complaint is in deadlock and has been closed.

Hi @Muddyv890 ,

In addition to the above good advice, please may I double check what manner of overcharging this was?

For example, was a recurring service left on which you requested removed? Were you put onto the wrong contact or amount different than promised? Were there hidden items that were not brought to your attention such as additional devices that you thought were free?

If the amounts were taken by Direct Debit and you believe you authorized lower amounts but not the high amounts taken, you are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee as regards unauthorised transactions. Even still, you would need to take appropriate legal advice to see if you owe those amounts before you could request an immediate refund from the bank, otherwise you may be chased for payment of debts you legally owe. Good luck!

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk : Legally the OP has been derelict in leaving it so long & so will be on weak ground.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @Muddyv890 ,

It will come as no comfort that it takes an average of four months for an error to be noticed with an average loss of £540. The below link even reports a Direct Debit fraud going on for eight years.

So how can you not notice?  Only one in five customers (21%) confirmed they check their balance once a month.  The average customer who does notice takes 4 months to do so.  For cases where the loss is noticed but accounts are not checked monthly they lose 10% more [£611 compared to £540 for those who check their bank statements at least once a month].

https://cliffordmillerlaw.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/natwest-direct-debit-scam/

In cases of financial fraud, I'm not aware of any situation in which the fraudster is in lesser legal jeopardy by carrying on the fraud for a longer period of time than a shorter period of time. E.g. that the fraudster would say phew, I've been stealing for a full year and can keep the stolen money now when it was really touch and go four months into the fraud.

I'm also not aware of any court case where a victim has been sufficiently negligent in failing to check balances that the fraudster has been awarded the stolen amount. Good luck!

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk : You are saying here that EE, having investigated a formal complaint on this alleged overcharge & have concluded it by being prepared to let it go to ADR, are fraudsters!