cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Nat type

Flood2020
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

I have a 4GEE router and it won’t let me connect my switch to online play it’s saying I have a Nat Type C (which is closed) I need a or b to be able to online play! 
I called EE and they reset all the settings as it should let me online play but it’s not can anyone help?? 

15 REPLIES 15
jamesmacwhite
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

On the 4G Home Router I think it's called Connect IP Mode. The APN profile itself doesn't have an option to select the protocol, you change that within http://192.168.1.1/index.html#/mobileConnection

You have the option of IPv4, IPv6 and IPv4v6. Default is IPv4v6, I'd first try IPv4 only. If you set to IPv6 only, you'll likely break connectivity as it doesn't fallback, so most websites will not load.

OK - so IPv6 mentioned as a possible fix to Nintendo Switch connection issues may break everything else?

Has anyone had any luck with the Nintendo Switch and just IPv4 (my default setting is as you say, IPv4v6)?

jamesmacwhite
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry I should have clarified. I think the key issue with the Nintendo Switch is it's looking for end to end connectivity which isn't possible with EE 4G because of CGNAT. Because EE supports IPv6, this would be a way to have end to end connectivity, as you can get an IPv6 address that is directly routed to you (no NAT of any kind) however, this is only going to work if the Nintendo Switch itself support IPv6. As far as I can tell it doesn't.

You can try setting the Connect IP mode to just IPv4 from the default IPv4v6 mode, but I'm not sure it will help. In the past there have been reports of modifying the APN/protocol making a difference. Some have said it changes the NAT type reported, which was enough to allow online play. I guess there is no harm in trying.

Thanks for the clarification.

I tried IPv4 but this didn't work (Nat type stayed at C). I tried IPv6 and this didn't work (NAT type dropped from C to F...). Has anyone had any luck or is my 7 year old doomed to never play his friends online via Switch?

thank you however its not letting me connect to this website what so ever just says re load! 

im currently having to use my mobile hotspot to connect (tesco mobile) luckily i didnt change to EE when i upgraded my 4GEE sim! 

thats what is strange that its saying it cause its an open network but surely my phone is as open as that!