cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Mobile Internet Download Slow Upload normal

A71011
Investigator
Investigator

Hi I live in rural wales, can not get ADSL or Fiber internet, A local company installed a dish on the side of my house with a built in 4G modem, worked fine for about 12 months could get speed test results in the 80Mbps down and 22Mbps upload as a business user on a business contract I rely on the internet for work on the 27/06/2021 I had a speed of 83.51Mbps according the speed test since that date the best I have had is 6.58Mbps sometimes as low as 0.51Mbps, Tried rebooting the Router, Tried Updating the router as the upload speed is still good I believe I am either been throttled or my Local mast is having a meltdown, What can I do to resolve this as its affecting my work  

SINR is 16 to 17dB RSRP is 78dB My router is a MikroTik RBLHG-5HPnD

12 REPLIES 12
A71011
Investigator
Investigator

should also add the 4g modem in the router is a R11e-LTE

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Check on the EE Status Checker to see if there Network issues.

Your Signal and SNR are good, can you get access to the Outdoor Router, check for correct Alignment, or Birds Nesting etc.

One of the downfalls of the Microtik Outdoor Routers is there not very water or moisture proof, as there's only a Plastic Flap to cover the SIM Card and RJ45 Plug / Socket, so I would also be checking the condition of these as well, especially the Ethernet Feeder lead and its condition.

been looking on my account on mobile data its saying "You don't have any data" not sure why its saying that?, the router condition is surprisingly good for its exposed location, as I am able to assess the config of the router run its cable tests, its also powered over the Ethernet and uploading fine I do not believe this is the cause  

sorry forgot to thank you for replaying and trying to help, just getting very frustrated trying to download a project I need to finish for tomorrow, its over 30GB

Hi @A71011 ,

Do you know if the fast.com and speedtest.net measured bandwidth is any better first thing in the morning or late at night? This would reveal if it's a network congestion issue or something happening irrespective of how busy the network is.

I would recommend to make a note of the loaded latency number as I find that to be the best indicator of any throttling (unlikely). My unloaded latency is around 30 ms and normal loaded latency is over 600 ms. When I am throttled on Reserve Data, my loaded latency is around 60 ms as there's plenty of spare capacity and throttling prevents me from saturating my link and severely impacting the loaded latency.

On a previous service provider's network, a switch to 3G helped when I saw bad performance on 4G but all the times I've asked about this people find that 3G performs the same which indicates that it's not 4G signal congestion but more usually a backhaul issue. A reset of the radio sometimes causes you to camp on a better cell tower if the one you are currently connected to displays bad performance.

In the past, I've observed that poor download but good upload is a pretty reliable indicator of congestion in the service provider's network and possibly the backhaul.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

thanks for the replay, I live on an Ireland in North Wales, Non of my village can get ADSL or fiber internet over 10 miles to the exchange, So we all relay on 4g or satellite internet there is only about 10 houses here and its over 75K per house if we want BT to provide internet or over 500k if its just me, so it would not surprise me if it was an overloaded tower there is only 1 mast locally for a few 1000 people acording to cellmapper.net         

should also say time of day make no difference and average ping is around the 60ms

Hi @A71011 ,

It's worth getting the OpenSignal app to see if there is sufficient data in your area to see what the average download speed people are getting in your area. It's possible there might be a less congested network and a closer tower if the problem should get any worse.

I was previously with Three and in my area, roughly six months ago, the download speeds could drop under 1 Mbps so I survived on approx. 7 Mbps on 3G at those congested times.

If the performance bad at all times of the day, inclusive of 4am, that would suggest the network is not congested with users but just insufficiently provisioned or faulty somewhere. At 4am I've measured 130 Mbps down but never otherwise exceeded 80 Mbps, with 35 Mbps the more normal number.

From about 30 months of using 4G LTE mobile broadband, I've come to regard time of day fluctuations to be normal and suspect a fault if the performance is poor when everyone is asleep. I would be tempted to move the SIM into a mobile to confirm the performance is equally bad but I understand this may be difficult in your case.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Do you have similar speed issues with an EE mobile?