cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

How to get accurate data usage figures?

cylonrouter
Contributor
Contributor

Other posts on data usage conclude that the upload figures are complete junk. So, how can I get accurate upload figures from EE?

Seems to be a useful way for EE to avoid any comparison shopping, shouldn't inaccurate figures be a major concern for the watchdog, Ofcom.

I have some days of massive uploads: on one day it would literally take >10h of full-speed upload on that connection.

How can I trust the download and/or upload figures at all?

Assuming the table they give (laid out to be as confusing as possible!), is in 1000s-of-MB our average download is ~25000MB and upload is ~22000MB. That seems very wrong. I downloaded the last 30G of a 40G game recently, it took ~4h with nothing else using the bandwidth ... that day has <30G of usage in total. So the whole days normal use, plus 30G is < 30G???

Anyone know if people have complained to the watchdog?

4 REPLIES 4
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @cylonrouter ,

I find that EE's numbers match up well with my Netgear MR1100 over 6 months of usage. I can't speak for the home broadband.

In addition, I believed that contractually the allowance is in terms of 1 KB = 1000 B whereas the counters are in 1 KiB = 1024 B which would be in favour of the customer. This second point may need a double check by someone else in case I'm mistaken.

I'm unaware of any consumer-level routers with highly inaccurate counters so I highly doubt the service provider has been able to source enterprise-level routers with inaccurate counters.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't from EE, only from your own devices.

• The Summary page is in GB over the current billing month.
  • The details page is in MB per day over the last 31 days.

But I shouldn't bother as they are widely inaccurate. They are either unbelievably high or zero! It doesn't really matter as EE BB is unlimited. 

@mikeliuk : Talking thro' your hat again! This query is about fixed home BB & the figures EE publish for it, Nowt to do with your Netgear mobile router over EE's mobile network. Nor it has anything to do with any routers, accurate or not, consumer-level or enterprise-level. These are usage figures EE publish in one's BB MyEE a/c & gleaned from their end.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX Any chance you can assist?

@Jordanmills : Assist how? In what? I've no influence over the false usage figures EE produces.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)