cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Misrepresentation and misselling of service contract

AmazonianX
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Summary - 1. Want to retain my number on EE without being on contract but flexibility of PAYG/top up as required.

2. Went into store, was told not possible severally that i have to get a contract to keep my number, misrepresentation and missold a contract.

3. Called EE customer service as directed from the store and was told my request in 1. above possible and EE shop has to sort it

4. Returned to EE Shop and it seems resolving this will be an arduous process.

Started using what is now a service under EE from the days of Tmobile in 2009/2010. When they change was made still continued with my number.

I am on PAYG top up using card or vouchers. On Friday evening, my sim became faulty, no signal on it and not recognized by phone.

For what i presume with be fastest means to get it sorted (gravest mistake), walked in to an EE shop explaining what went wrong and stating that 'I want to get a new sim retaining my number and to be on PAYG with me being able to top up flexibly ab initio the previous sim'.

The customer assistant said it wont be possible for me to get the services as describe as now with EE everyone is on contract. gave me the options  of £10 = 1GB data, unlimited minutes and other rates etc. Told him i do not really need what he is offering as the important bit is for me to have my number transferred to another working sim because with the pandemic i am indoors mostly and have another provider for internet services at home.

He insisted that it is not possible for him to get me my number back except i am tied to a contract. We continued on it and at some point, one of the managers at the store got involved and said he said the best that can be done is £13=10GB data etc. and other offers he maid with increasing cost. Told him with situation of not much work, would not want to embark on anything costing any amount and of no relative use to me. Said to have my number back that's what can be done. 

And then the loooong process began. There were so many glitches it appeared they encountered as ended up spending close to 2hrs on the process of getting the matter sorted. Then finally gave me sim pack on signing contract and said i have to call the customer service line to remove a debit of £50 that is on the line. Requested twice to have the telephone number for the store so that if i need to reach them directly it makes it easier, this was declined on both occasions that the number i need is the general customer service line.

So we returned home, i rang the customer service line and while speaking with the call center brought up what happened in store and i was told that with EE i can get my number back and not be tied to a contract which I am having to still call for to sort one thing or the other out. I called back  twice and the customer service assistants at the other end of the phone said same things as the first. That I will have to go back to the store to sort it out as it was there it originated. 

As it was already evening, went to the store on Saturday and was told Manager who approved it not around. I could see the Customer Service Assistant who attended to me and insisted since he is around (though busy when i arrived) let us take it up from there but it appears I was being prevented from having a discuss with him with the insistence of the Assistant Manager that the Manager who approved it has to be around for me to even broach the subject. Even after several clarifications, the name on said documentation from the shop is wrong.

At the end, took my details, gave them a copy of the contract and an alternative number i dug up to be reached on as soon as they open. Was told this will be on Tuesday and they open 10:00hrs but yet to hear from the EE Shop at about 11:00hrs. Am i being given the run around?

It is quite appalling that such will be the conduct from a point it is believed a matter is supposed to be resolved the quickest.

Thank you.

PS: The names of personnel and location of the EE Shop is available if you want to clarify or get more details.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good morning,

@Katie_B @Christopher_G @Chris_B @Jon_K 

Will like to inform you that the sim card retaining number received and working in apparently good order.

I still retain the flexibility I had as before.

Thanking you all for all the assistance provided on this matter, indeed this is a community.

The matter can now be taken as resolved.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @AmazonianX

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I am sorry to hear this has happened and you are still awaiting a callback. 

Was a specific time provided by the store as to when they would be in touch?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @AmazonianX.

If you take a contract out in store, the only way to cancel this would be in store again. I appreciate a contract isn't what you wanted in the first place.

It is possible to get a pay as you go SIM card on EE, and if you were previously on T-Mobile, it's possible to retain your number too.

Jon

Hi Katie_B,

Thanks for reaching out. I had requested for the call to be made as soon as they opened up shop which was 10:00hrs. Just as was about leaving for the shop at 12:52hrs the call came through. I asked for the Manager was told not around he went to a meeting (seems the run-around he want to give me is in full swing).

Assistant Manager stated he spoke with him and that he said i signed on to one of the 3 options on the table. I told him what of the premise of my coming to the shop which was to get a my number on a sim status quo ab initio which i was told several times was not possible? All i heard was em...emm...emmm, eh he will speak with him Manager again and hopefully will hear from him tomorrow.

Such shark practice and under handedness.

Hi Jon_K,

Thank you, I never wanted a contract. That is what I am trying to do. Went to the store next day which was Sunday and was told because the manager who approved it was not around I can not be attended to. So each EE Shop revolve around the pinkie of whichever manager is on duty in this age and time?

I am being given the run around now but unfortunately for him I am jobless at the moment - More reason why I need my number which i have had for ages to be active as it is my only number and what is on my applications and CV and surely missing prospect of employment when I am not reachable.

Once again, you also confirmed what was said in the shop to be impossible to be a straight forward matter to retain my number.

If I am to get my number transferred to a new sim Tmobile to EE, is there a cost associated with it whether done in EE Shop or online/call to Customer Service line? Please anyone who knows should help in giving an answer to this.

Thanks.

@AmazonianX   There is no cost to to move to EE.  The shop manager should be ashamed of themselves for this.   You’ve been told a pack of lies and the manager should be reprimanded for this.  

This matter is not resolved yet.

Went over to the EE Shop yesterday and met the manager and we were on this for a long time stating that what I signed on for was fully explained to me. Asked about the reason why I came into the store and stated to the person attending to me initially and was told 'it is not possible' and you know gave contractual options? He maintained what I got was what I signed for.

Loads of back and forth, then manager said ok, what I asked for is possible to do but not available to be done in EE Shop but call to customer service would be able to do it( a member of the EE online resolution team on this site should please clarify this for me), so why was I not told this or given this option? Said over time, what can be done in shop is becoming limited by the day as their scope of ability/resolution keeps getting reduced. Manager asked me why didn't I call customer service first before coming to the shop? Told him because I live close to this EE Shop of his. Said the believe in the shop is that customers want their challenges resolved their and then, told him at no point did I enunciate 'an here and now' result.

Told him the EE Customer Service which I was told to call by the shop on Saturday for them to complete the process of activating and making usage of the new sim easy were the ones who opened my eyes to what was possible and referred me back to him to cancel the contract in store, he said he is not willing to cancel it and me to go back and call the Customer service to cancel the contract as they can do it (members of the EE online resolution team/customer service/support team on this site should please clarify this for me).

On another footing, waiting for him solve this so to expect call today.

@AmazonianX   The store manager has the power to cancel this and should of done just that.    If you was required to call customer services why did the store  not do that for you while you was at the store ?    

He said he believed I chose one of the options presented to me and that it was well explained to me as spent a long time in the store on Saturday. Had to correct him that my spending nearly 2hours in the store was because they were having glitches i.e.

1. The tab they were using for the process broke down at some point and that had to start over the process.

2. They could not get everything they needed to sort done for easy use of the sim by me. It was on one of the occasions when I voiced when will it be completed for the umpteenth time that they finally said 'Ok, take the contract sim and gave me the customer service line to call to complete the whole thing.