cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Mifi issues

Deano207777
Visitor

Had some issues recently with connection which seem to have been resolved.  Now got a strange issue.  Mifi unit is showing broadband signal strength is good and is connecting to devices, however all devices are showing no internet with the exception of my fire tv which connects and streams without issue.  To me this says the broadband is fine but cannot understand why “no internet” on my tablet and other devices when connected to the mifi unit.  Any ideas????

1 REPLY 1
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Deano207777 ,

Sounds like this is most likely a DNS issue. To check this, on a device which claims there is no internet access, you can see if you can specify Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 if a secondary DNS is desired. And that might fix.

If the reason is not the above, the more generic reason will be that the Fire TV is using a different criteria to check whether there is an internet connection from the criteria your other devices use.

The second check will then be to see if you can access a website by its IPv4 address and below I suggest you try 142.250.187.228 in a browser which should take you to a google website on a device which claims to have no internet access. Good luck!

[x@x ~]$ nslookup www.google.com
Server: 192.168.x.x
Address: 192.168.x.x#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.google.com
Address: 142.250.187.228
Name: www.google.com
Address: 2a00:1450:4009:820::2004

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net