cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

I need more ethernet ports on my EE Router

Mal-110
Investigator
Investigator

I have EE Fibre Broadband Plus and a EE router that has four ethernet ports. I should like to add another two ports but probably four would be best. What sort of add on or splitter is recommended with this router.

Thanks

Mal

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Captgeneralmark
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Mal-110 An unmanaged ethernet switch is invisible to the router, so it makes no difference who makes the switch. For instance, I’ve got multiple switches around my network, from manufactures such as Netgear, TP-Link, D-Link and even an unnamed switch. All work flawlessly. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mal-110   You want something like THIS   This will give you 4 ports but you’ll loose a port on the router as one of them has to plug in to this to give you the 4. 

Captgeneralmark
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hi, @Mal-110 Any unmanaged ethernet switch will do the job. There are a vast number available, with ports ranging from 5 to 32, only limited by how much you are willing to pay. You can buy a 5-port switch for around a fiver if you only need 4 extra ports (you’ll always lose one for the connection to the router). 

Thank You both, I should have added to my original post thatI thought I would need a switch but which product will work without issues and be acknowledged by EE as the right way to go, if not tacitly approved by them

Captgeneralmark
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Mal-110 An unmanaged ethernet switch is invisible to the router, so it makes no difference who makes the switch. For instance, I’ve got multiple switches around my network, from manufactures such as Netgear, TP-Link, D-Link and even an unnamed switch. All work flawlessly. 

@Mal-110   You can use any one you like. All you are going is splitting one connection port to how many are on the switch.  ISP don’t care if you use 1 or 100 of these switches. 

Thank You,

I will get one ordered

Thank You

Sorry i’m piggy backing on this older discussion but was wondering if a netgear poe managed switch such as the “gs316epp”) will work with the EE Smart Wifi Broadband router?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Markito,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Sorry, our Smart Router doesn't support PoE.

James