cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Has my PAYG number been used before

uk3g
Investigator
Investigator

I have received a PAYG sim from EE which I use as a backup in my tablet. Yesterday, I tried to create a WhatsApp Business Account with the number and it states the number is banned? How is this possible?

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @uk3g

Welcome to the community.

It's possible that your new number has been used before. When you cancel a number, they go into a quarantine for a period of time then get recycled.

Usually you don't see any problems and you would never know. I'd recommend speaking to our Mobile Care team so they can look into this.

Chris

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Altho' a previous user of that no. may have cancelled it with their network, they may have it still registered with What'sApp. It is not the job of a network to go round all sites removing nos. that have been cancelled with it. It was the responsibility of the previous user to deregister with all sites he had given it to.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
nick_ro
Investigator
Investigator

It's possible that you're using a recycled number and the previous user was part of a scam or spammer causing a nuisance.

If the previous user is using the old number for their WhatsApp still, then when you sign up with that number, you will normally get a text to verify your number and this should boot them off WhatsApp with that number, they won't be able to retrieve the number your using now because they are unable to receive the text message used to verify your number.

Try contacting WhatsApp for support. 

I have contacted support and the initial person I spoke to wasn't that helpful, however the follow up was. The number had been recycled and had more likely than not, been used associated with a WhatsApp account, which, for whatever reason, WhatsApp have banned. 

EE have had to give me a new number.

WhatsApp blocked the number so regardless of whether the previous owner cancelled it with the network or not, once the number is banned it can not be used again - so I now understand.

I was referring to WhatsApp support not EE.

EE have no control or any information about WhatsApp accounts.

As I said in my first post, the previous user was probably part of a scam or sending spam, WhatsApp permanently bars numbers that are involved in scams or unauthorised and unsolicited calls and messages advertising products and services.

My advice is to ask EE to change your number or if you have used up the credit, just use a New sim.