cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Frequent loss of service. Losing patience

stiiwii2
Explorer

Hi all, starting to get really frustrated with this... Hoping someone can shed some light on what's going on.

I have fttp fibre max 900. Had it connected since April and it intermittently losing connection very frequently, sometimes for 15 minutes, sometimes 15 hours.

Always I get the red light on the ONT for LoS Loss of Service. I've had 3 engineers out, with the most recent this morning, the previous engineer visit was 6 days ago. I should note, that I don't always call up to report the report the outage, as it often happens out of customer service hours (of course) and by the morning it's working again.

First engineers came out and said he's surprised it's working at all as some fibres were cut externally, so he said he fixed the issue and then all was well for another week or so. 

2nd engineer said the issue was with a "bodge job" on the ONT, where the fibre connector was held into the ONT with the help of a lollipop stick. (My partner was home for this visit).

3rd engineer this morning said he'd spoke to previous engineer to confirm the previous issue. This time the engineer replaced the openreach hub on the ONT and did a repair on the fibre cable, as it was apparently leaking red light during testing, when it shouldn't. He said if it stops working again then there's an issue with the cable externally.

So fast forward 12 hours and there is once again loss of service. The customer service rep yesterday said I can't cancel without penalty as each engineer reports them as different faults, then as fixed. In my eyes it's the same underlying issue, always an external loss of Service error.

Seems ludicrous that I'm paying top whack for this level of connection, yet barely able to use it. Where do I go from here?

Apologies for the rant ^^

Edit: forgot to mention, I did a speedtest (shown below) this evening when I noticed it not working. There was 0.03mb d/l and 104mb u/l which I found very odd.

Screenshot_20210803-230556.png

4 REPLIES 4
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @stiiwii2 ,

You may wish to review the below link to bolster requests for compensation.

It seems that after the loss of service, the issue never became "fully fixed" so it may be worth requesting a reduction in your bill until the issue is "fully fixed" (at a minimum, all good for 24 hours and ideally 48 hours).

I feel that if it costs the service provider nothing, there is no motivation for them to hold up their end of the contract and they will be happy to charge you full price for a service which is not fit for purpose if it works at all, and anyway a much higher price than the pitiful download bandwidth you are currently reporting.

I would recommend to run periodic tests using speedtest.net so that the URL results can be shared as evidence.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @stiiwii2

Thanks for posting on the community. 

I am very sorry to hear this has happened.

Have you been back in touch with our Broadband Tech team?

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Hi @Leanne_T 

My partner called this morning to report it. They said as it's not been fully resolved within the 48 hours of the latest engineer calling, it won't be openreach engineers who look at it next? Apparently a different team is going to come and investigate, but they just said to wait for a phone call from them, which doesn't leave me confident.

Internet came back on this morning, after being down throughout the night again. It's making using the WiFi baby monitor difficult ^^

Are you able to chase this up?

Regards

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @stiiwii2

Thanks for coming back to me. 

I've sent you a private message on the community to help you further 🙂

Leanne.