cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Draytek Vigor 2860 Settings

Alcoraptor
Investigator
Investigator

I'm trying to replace my EE Brightbox with a Draytek 2860 VDSL2 router, but am having some trouble with the settings.

I know it's not supported by EE, but I was wondering if anyone had any success getting it running.

Some background:

- I have FTTC, with the router plugged directly into the wall socket

- The EE Brightbox works fine and has no issues at all with stability

- The Draytek has no issues with the line, and reports SHOWTIME with 48,999kbps down and 13,461kbps up with a SNR of anywhere between 0 and -6db in each direction

- The Draytek automatically inserts a VLAN tag of 101

- The Draytek firmware is 3.9.1_BT (576D17)

- The VDSL firmware is 576D17_A/B/C with Vectoring support, although the syslog states that G.INP Vectoring is disabled on the line

- I have tried MTUs of 1480 and 1492, 1500

I have tried setting the Draytek up in PPPoE mode, with the credentials supplied by EE, and it occasionally gets an IP - but it does not stay connected for longer than 2 minutes. I get an error on WAN1 of PPP Shutdown, usually within about 15 seconds, and the syslog says Remote Terminated.

Usually, however, it does not get an IP at all, and the line goes into FAIL followed by TRAINING, and the connection process starts again.

I have also tried, as per the advice on other forums, setting the mode to MPoA with 1483 Bridged IP LLC Encapsulation (VPI 0, VCI 101, Modulation Multimode) , and Obtain an IP address automatically.

The line goes into SHOWTIME, but the router does not ever obtain an IP address (the SysLog states that Option 61 is enabled, but all of the DHCP IPs are 0.0.0.0), and eventually the line goes into RESET followed by TRAINING after about 30 seconds.

Has anyone had any luck getting the Draytek to work, or can shed any light on it?

31 REPLIES 31
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

For clarity. The modem code has NOTHING whatsoever to do with EE's network.

For clarity. The only thing the modem does is enable the connection to the MSDN/DSLAM. It does not care which ISP you will connect to nor does it know. Your ISP connection is made at the exchange/head end via VLAN101.

For clarity. If vectoring is not supported the modem will ignore that. It is not the ISP that supports vectoring it is up to Openreach on a per cab basis.

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Alcoraptor ,

Would you be ok to go back to DrayTek to get them to confirm this impacts all OpenReach customers (or at least the majority), or whether they stick to the assertion this only impacts EE's network.

I think it would be a nice way to draw a line under this thread. 🤓

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

As per the Draytek documentation (https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4301 ), and the support agent I spoke to:

For DSL models, we offer versions of different modem codes to meet different ISP's needs

The modem code can and clearly does affect the individual ISP.

FWIW, before I switched to EE I had the Draytek on the standard _BT firmware and it was working fine

Hi @Alcoraptor ,

Thanks for confirming that. I think it's likely the network equipment manufacturer is likely to know the situation as it exists today and I think it's useful to be confirmed in the field with one data point.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@mikeliuk  As ususal you have totally missed the point. If any Draytek user utilises antything other than the BT firmware then they risk being kicked off the Openreach network. Any other 3.9.1 firmware has not passed Openreach testing.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Alcoraptor  There you are quoting international guidelines/generalisations., the BT firmware has been specifically preduced to meet with Openreach requirements. Any other firmware you use is "at your own risk".

@pip11 wrote:

Any other 3.9.1 firmware has not passed Openreach testing.

Has Draytex actually admitted that? Or are we just implying that from the absence of "BT" in their titles. All I recollect is that the "Vector" firmware would give "better performance" in certain circumstances. Wouldn't it be silly at this stage of the OR SIN thing compliance to be issuing a whole raft of non-compliant firmware.

EDIT: https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498

Are DrayTek products BT SIN 498 approved?

Yes!  DrayTek's  products were submitted for testing in 2015 and received a "full pass". 

I would agree that this thread has gone somewhat off-track with the talk of modems & modem codes. Modems & modem codes are only used to connect to the OR kit & are of no relevance to the ISP which is only affected by the router-part settings. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@XRaySpeXYou haven't been keeping up have you.😀

From link in post 15. From the Draytek website.

2021-07-29 11_57_38-BT SIN 498 - MCT approval for VDSL2 — Mozilla Firefox.png

So yes. Draytek have admitted it. Only the BT firmware has passed Openreach testing.

NB. That doesn't mean Openreach will implement it but they could and would if it caused problems.

@pip11 : But I think I have. That's the same link as I give that says Draytek products have received "full pass". They do say they recommend the "BT" firmware but nowhere do I see that others are non-compliant.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

That may be the case from a theoretical standpoint, but the reality of the situation is that the _BT firmware does not work with my EE broadband.

The _vector1 firmware works without issue, and Draytek themselves have stated (both in the documentation and to me) that the modem code varies to cater to ISP's needs.

It did, however, work with my previous broadband (and I'm not convinced that OR have changed their entire network infrastructure in the time it took me to switch over to EE)