cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

5GEE WIFI connected to WAN on Draytek Vigor2962

LachunkKP
Explorer

Hi, we have a a 5GEE wifi for using as a failover on the WAN2 port on our Draytek Vigor 2962. Connecting via Ethernet. 5GEE is set up with DHCP on, on one subnet (default 192.168.1.x) and Draytek is on 192.168.5.x. Connected, and in the WAN obtain IP details via DHCP, and also set to be Always on (to test). I see it connects and obtains the correct IP. However, we are not getting past the 5GEE on trace route from the Draytek and unable to connect to the internet from any machines on the Draytek LAN.

I've been through a few of the posts where people have this working with the 4GEE but I've followed those and still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas or any suggestions?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @LachunkKP ,

What subnet does WAN1 sit on and does it get its IP address by DHCP?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Hi @mikeliuk, thanks for the response. WA1 was set to our leased fibre providers subnet (quite different). However, I also reset the Draytek and only set up a single WAN on WAN1 with the 5GEE and got the same result.

Do you have an old router with RJ45 WAN that you could connect up to the 5GEE router instead to test?

Sounds really weird that simple double-NAT doesn't work. If you were to connect a mobile by WiFi to the 5GEE router and connect other devices by hotspot it would essentially be the same double-NAT config.

I guess you can ping the 5GEE router from the DrayTek LAN. Can you ping other 5GEE LAN devices from the DrayTek LAN?

The only theory is that the 5GEE router is singling out traffic from the DrayTek router and not forwarding that traffic. The immediate thought is to set a static address on the DrayTek WAN in the 5GEE subnet and then put that IP in the 5GEE router DMZ.

Must be some really weird error somewhere. Can't imagine you're vlan tagging traffic when you should not be but the ping reachability should show that anyway. A mystery.

I guess your RX/TX packet counters are sane and you don't see a lot of traffic flowing out of the DrayTek but almost zero in response?

I guess your DrayTek LAN devices have the DrayTek as their default gateway. Potentially you could set the 5GEE router LAN IP as the default route just to test.

Not likely to fail but may as well ping 5GEE router WAN from DrayTek LAN.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

I tried a similar setup and it doesn't work as the OP described. I tried the DMZ setting in the 5GEE to point to the Draytek WAN but it doesn't change the behaviour. I'm suspecting it's something to do with the 5GEE router refusing to route the traffic properly, and there's no option to configure the routing table directly.

Hi @hhp256 ,

Does the Draytek WAN receive an IP address from the upstream router?

Can the Draytek ping the upstream router?

If the Draytek receives an IP address on the upstream private subnet, it would be no different than connecting a laptop or desktop so would not be an upstream routing issue and the LAN is switched/bridged anyway (not routed as the LAN ports/interfaces have no IP addresses).

--