cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Connecting 4GEE Mini Mobile Wifi to TP LINK Wifi Extender

Ben231
Explorer

I have recently purchased a Mini 4GEE Mobile Wifi from EE and was wondering if it is compatible with my plug in TP-Link Wifi Extender.

If so, how do you connect the two together as from what i can see the Mini 4GEE Mobile Wifi doesn't seem to have a WPS button which is how i connected the previous wifi router to the extender.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nor has it any  Ethernet connection for the extender to connect to.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

The extender does not require an Ethernet connection it can be done with a wireless connection.

Yes, if the router had WPS which it doesn't.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

So no1 responded to this??

@Jamieharden12 : Yes, we discussed it and found it did not have the necessary wherewithal.

Hi @Jamieharden12 ,

Successful configuration will depend on the exact model of the TP-Link WiFi Extender but in principle it should be possible to make this work.

Current industry best practice is not to use WPS as it is insecure.

According to the documentation, the TP-Link WiFi Extender will itself be broadcasting a SSID to allow configuration and the instructions to configure the TP-Link WiFi Extender to connect to the 4GEE router seem pretty trivial: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/3074/

In the worst case, it may be necessary to factory reset the TP-Link WiFi so that its access point is broadcast on the expected SSID and it will have the expected default IP for the management page.

Be aware that the TP-Link WiFi Extender is not a powerline adapter, in case anyone is reading this who wants a powerline adapter for a more stable connection due to bad WiFi transmission in a property. Essentially @Ben231  has already pointed out the below in an above comment and it's likely the device in question may already have been configured in the manner described below (it's trivial to discover just noticing the new SSID with a strong signal that it must be the TP-Link).

From above link (may be different depending on exact model):

Access the extender

Q3. How do I log into the range extender?

• Method 1: Via the Tether app
  1. Connect your smartphone to the range extender’s Wi-Fi.
  2. Launch the app and tap your extender to log in. The Tether App and web page will use the same login password for your range extender.
  • Method 2: Via the web management page
  1. Connect your smartphone to the range extender’s Wi-Fi.
  2. Launch a web browser and visit http://tplinkrepeater.net.
  3. Create a password to log in. The Tether App and web page will use the same login password for your range extender.

Q4. What should I do if the Tether app can’t find my range extender?

• Make sure your smartphone is connected to the extender’s Wi-Fi. The default network name is TP-Link_Extender or TP-Link_Extender_2.4GHz/5GHz.
  • Turn off your cellular data and try again.
  • Reboot the extender and try again.
-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@Jamieharden12  Download the TP link app,   You can link the range Extender with any router even ones that don’t have a WPS button.   When I set mine up I don’t use a WPS button I do it via the app on my phone.  

The TP link app is called Tether.  It’s really easy to use.