cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Calls from Amazon Echo

Boozyboys
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

I’ve linked my EE account to my Amazon Echo so I can receive calls on it, but it seems that this has forced any outgoing calls made from the Echo to also be through the EE network. Before I linked, I could make calls from the Echo anyway without charge and without using any EE minutes. How can I make calls from my Echo without using the linked EE account?

I’m thinking that if this is not possible, then it’s better to unlink EE; being able to receive calls on my Echo is not enough of a benefit to waste my EE minutes when Amazon connects me for free.

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ah OK, then in Communications there is a setting for Calling Preference - I don't have an option to change it as I don't have my phone account linked - but you may have?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Are you connected to the Echo via Bluetooth when making the calls?

If you drop the connection to the phone, it should then make calls via Wi-Fi. 

No, I’m connected through the communication settings in the Alexa app. It’s a formal link between my Alexa account and EE account. My mobile handset doesn’t play any role in the calls.

Ah OK, then in Communications there is a setting for Calling Preference - I don't have an option to change it as I don't have my phone account linked - but you may have?

Aha, brilliant! Thank you, there is an option there to prioritise how calls are made. I have now switched that to “Alexa Communications”, so that calls are made via Alexa rather than through EE. Once again I can call my friends in the US without facing hefty EE international call charges. It’s a shame this isn’t made clear in the EE setup instructions. Thanks again

Great, glad you are sorted and I could help.

I did not realise EE had instructions for setting it up. A bit like letting it auto buy from Amazon, not sure I am ready to trust these things!!