cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Boku

MS04
Investigator
Investigator

So I am FURIOUS. I have been fraudulently charged nearly £400 by EE OVER MY BILLby EE for 3rd party services I have NEVER requested or received by BOKU. This is DISGUSTING as after over an hour on the phone to EE customer services, there’s nothing they are prepared to do to help me. Contacted Boku and they’ve been less than helpful.

EE happily pay 3rd parties and bill me for something I knew NOTHING about. My contract with EE. This is not how to treat customers. Surely EE SHOULD CONTACT CUSTOMERS before they pay 3rd parties. Anyone know how I can get my money back?

Already put stop on all phones now for 3rd party sellers.

EE must be getting some financial incentive to allow this to happen. 

30 REPLIES 30

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I've just been hit with a huge bill with the same reference. My daughter's phone and we don't even have a Playstation. She received text messages and replied STOP then when I checked the bill there are 10 charges on the same day within 3 hours of each other - all adding up to over £240.

I'm just trying to find out how you contacted Boku. They only seem to have a serviced office in London with no phone number. Sony Playstation will be my first port of call. 

As for EE, whilst I can appreciate they can't contact everyone when a charge back like this happens. Although, their systems are automated enough to actually send some text to say something has been set up on your account. However, I do feel that within the website where you have the options to allow or block premium numbers et al there's actually no option for blocking these types of transactions and that's not on.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @RichPH

Welcome to the EE Community. 

Do these charges show a short code on your bill?

Katie 🙂

Same happened to me last night they charged me 250 and when called ee he said it was my daughter's fault and I started to blame her only to find out she hasnt done nothing Im so furious now have to try and get my money back feel like leaving ee after 15 years so stressful especially just before Christmas 

Katie_B

Good Afternoon @mpimenta

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I am sorry to hear this has happened so close to Christmas. 

Did our customer care team provide you with the company information?

Katie 🙂

EE won't accept any responsibility for this whatsoever - bear that in mind; so you'll get nowhere attempting to get reimbursed from them.

I'm assuming your daughter responded to a text that was sent out, possibly to win a Playstation. 

What you need to do is immediately phone Boku 0808 1202341. Tell them that your daughter (who is a minor (I'm assuming she's under 18)) was charged and that it was through an unsolicited text they sent out and had no authority from you. They'll say that they only charge if people reply Yes to the text but it's rubbish as they'll charge no matter what you reply - just the reply triggers it. They should then tell you that you need to provide a copy of your daughter's date of birth to prove she's a minor, so just take a photo of her birth cert or something official like that. They should also raise a ticket and send you an email with a link to the Boku support site where you'll set up an account (seems you have to do this for a ticket reference). I've included a copy of the email you should receive from them at which point you send a reply with your daughter's age confirmation.  They will also tell you that it will have to be escalated for a manager to check if you're entitled to a refund. You should hear back in a couple of days or less with information about a refund.

Assuming that all goes OK, they will tell you that they will refund into your mobile account. Now you'll need to decide whether you want to pay EE that extra 250 and then wait and hope that when the refund is made EE will credit you back (don't hold your breath) or as I was advised by EE staff: cancel the direct debit, just pay my normal charge and then let the refund credit back into my account. Then reset up the direct debit again. It's a real pain in the ass, but I couldn't afford to wait for the possibility of being refunded by EE. 

The other thing with Boku is that they will not immediately refund your money. It's some process and will take several weeks. It was 2 December when I called them and it's only just been refunded (Boku state that it could be up to 2 months); so you'll get phone calls from EE chasing you. Tell them the situation and that it is being refunded and ask them to extend the time before they chase it. 

Other things:

1. Tell Boku to block the mobile number

2. Tell EE to block all mobile chargeback services to all numbers on your account. It's this bit that angers me about EE as they provide access to block roaming, premium numbers, data and such through the app or website but no mention anywhere of this method of charging. I didn't even know it was a thing, I'd never heard of it. And, even having a call limit amount makes no difference - you'll still get hit.

3. Instil it in your daughter NEVER to reply to anything. It is reprehensible what these companies do to directly target kids and how mobile providers allow it through their network.

4. The guy at Boku whom I spoke to was called Lars.

I hope that's been some help, heer's a copy of that email they sent:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Our records indicate that the provided mobile number was used to purchase Wallet Funds from Sony Network Entertainment Europe Ltd.

We are a mobile billing service that allows customers to make purchases using their mobile phone. To make a purchase using our service, a customer has to select to buy an item from a game or website, and then choose our payment service as the method of payment. After entering their mobile number on our payment panel, a free text message confirming both the product and cost is sent to the handset. The customer must authorise the transaction by either replying with a keyword, or entering a PIN number before they can be billed.

We have blocked the provided mobile number from use with our service. We also recommend that you block premium and direct carrier billing services through your carrier to prevent charges from being processed by another pay by mobile service.
To proceed with a refund request, we require you to provide the following:

• A copy of an official document or card confirming your child is a minor (Examples of acceptable forms are ID cards, school IDs, health/insurance cards, passports and birth certificates).

You can request a refund for transactions made in the 45 days prior to submitting your dispute. You must return all required documentation within 2 weeks of placing your dispute.

Please note that refunds are subject to approval and are not guaranteed; in addition, please keep in mind that if a refund is approved, the console and/or SEN account linked to the payments may be disabled by Sony.

Best regards,
Boku Customer Support 

Boku charged me £140 and I never purchased anything from 

them also I never received any conformation text. I don’t know what to do can anyone help me

Hi

I too had this issue and know how stressful it can be.
You need to initially contact Sony and tell them that your account has been hacked- they will investigate and block Boku if they see that the credits are not actually from your Sony account. Next contact EE and explain what happened...get everything in writing, send it all to Boku, and after many weeks/ months they should refund EE who will credit your account.

Good luck

MS04
Christopher_G

Hi @Amal81

Welcome to the community.

I'd also recommend speaking to Boku to find out what these charges are for.

Was there a short code on your bill, next to the charges?

Chris

Hello,can you help me please,i want make a payment via boku but it dosen t Word.I spoked with Ee customers service and they dont know about boku payments.