cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Am I able to use the DSL-AX82U router instead of the provided EE Smart Hub?

zachattack
Investigator
Investigator

I'd like to replace the provided EE Smart Hub modem/router combo unit for the ASUS DSL-AX82U instead. At face value it seems I should be able to once acquiring username and password details from EE customer support... 

Currently paying for the 120-130 mbps broadband service. 

Was hoping to receive a sanity check from the community before purchasing the ASUS unit. 

Thank you for your help. 

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you can with any VDSL/ADSL modem router such as the ASUS DSL-AC82U.

In Home Broadband settings you'll find almost everything you need to set up your own router. What's missing for Fibre is:

• VLAN ID = 101.

Just to check, you do have the black Smart Hub & not the white Smart Router? The latter needs a G.Fast modem router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Assuming you are on G.Fast with a speed of 120-130 you would need the AX88U as the  AC82U does not support G.Fast.

Thank you very much for the feedback. As you and another user pointed out, it appears I will need a g.fast capable unit as I do have a white versiob smart hub. 

Thank you very much for pointing out the g.fast requirement. Another user also made a mention of that as well. Cheers.