cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4G Router External Aerials

ChrisJD1
Contributor
Contributor

This isn't a question! Our 4G router was struggling on one bar resulting in frequent buffering but living in a rented property we couldn't put an external aerial on the cottage. Nowhere could I find details of compatible aerials to fit on the back of the router, even EE tech guys couldn't help. In the end I bought a pair of Kaunosta Universal 4G 3.5dbi WiFi Antenna for Router/Camera, Adjustable antenna, Removable Antenna, SMA Male Antenna, WiFi Signal Enhancement Antenna, Wireless Range Expander, White off Amazon. Now on two bars, download varies between 25 and 50 MB/S and upload between 2 and 4 MB/S. Just in case, like me, you're looking.

4 REPLIES 4
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @ChrisJD1 ,

Many thanks for sharing your findings with the community.

I was also in the position of browsing for an appropriate external antenna and I found the following link to very useful. I believe there are also linked written guides suggesting omni-directional if you have many cell towers around you and direction only if it's absolutely clear all your options are in a single direction.

On the topic of determining whether the correct connector is TS9, CRC9, or SMA, the best play is to determine the manufacturer model number when a service provider has applied their brand over the top, or to determine the closest manufacturer model to determine what connections, if any, are available for attaching an external antenna.

https://poynting.tech/how-to-choose-an-antenna/

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@ChrisJD1  Poynting do some Window or Glass mount Antennas as do Panarama Antennas which work well where external mounts is not permissable.

You ideally want to mount them high up and mounted on the outside of the window then work out a plan to feed the cables in.

@mikeliuk when buying External LTE /5G Antennas it always best to buy with either N Type or SMA Connectors then just add Flyleads or direct converters for either CR9 or TS9 to suit the Router that way your not stuffed when changing or trying a different Router make and just stay away from Connectors or Adapters from eBay or Amazon, you what I mean the cheap Chinese Tat.

My advice is to stay away from a proper Directional Antenna(s) unless you really are stuffed for a Single Mast with a poor Signal options. directional antennas rarely have the correct Bandwidth to cover all the required Bands and there's a good chance that with 5G the 5G Signal iis not necessary coming from the same 4G Mast that your pointing to.

Good advice EssexBoy, thanks.