cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported number but iPhone won’t change

Martynmordecai
Explorer

Hey all. 

I’ve received a text from EE saying my old number has successfully ported over from my old phone. 

I can ring people and it shows the correct number. 

people who ring me on the correct number I can get these calls. 

However my iPhone displays the temporary number and I can’t change this. I have power cycled the phone, turned iMessage and FaceTime off. However I still cannot change the number for my actual number. 

35 REPLIES 35

Hi @James_B ,

It has worked thank you! So here are the steps I did just incase others will have the same issues in the future:

For iphone users:

1. Go to settings>messages>LOG OUT of imessage. Do the same with facetime. Log out not turn off. 

2. restart iphone

3. go to settings>messages>turn on imessage>note that the temporary number will still show>select that temporary number and it will automatically update to the number that has been ported. Then you can log in your icloud after. 

@adey_jason   Not sure why your login out/in to iCould as you don’t need to log out of it.   You just need to turn off iMessage and FaceTime as that latch’s on to the number on the sim so just rebooting the device doesn’t fix that.  If you disable iMessage and FaceTime it forgets the original SIM card number once you reboot the device then turn on iMessage/FaceTime it picks up the now ported on number.    Your iCloud account then will allow that number to be used say on an iPad for iMessage/FaceTime as it updates from the off/on of iMessage and FaceTime on the iPhone.  

Spaceryan23
Visitor

All you have to do is select the temporary number you get with the sim and the phone does the rest.

I believe this is because we have selected the number we want to receive iMessages from and not the new number. So when our number from another network is ported it hasn’t changed because it hasn’t been selected. 

I hope that made sense?

Thank you!

Nothing was changing until I simply clicked on the temporary number and it changed/ updated straight away.

This also then changed the “My Number” entry in the “Phone” settings, which had been another problem. 

Thank you!

Nothing was changing until I simply clicked on the temporary number and it changed/ updated straight away.

This also then changed the “My Number” entry in the “Phone” settings, which had been another problem. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know @JSM25

Take care, 

Katie

That worked for my iphone, many thanks.

ppglou333
Visitor

This is what worked for me…

I tried the suggestion of turning off iMessage and FaceTime and restarted the phone. I did this a few times but the number was still wrong on settings>phone>my number. I contacted Apple who advised me to go into settings>messages and toggle on imessage. Then go into send & receive. The wrong number was showing there so they asked me to hold it to delete it. I tapped on it and then held it but no option to delete. Then a second later it just changed itself to the correct number. Voila. Then I went and turned on FaceTime and all was good. 

Also remember to check your number in Contacts under my card and also under settings>(your name)>name, phone numbers, email. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for sharing @ppglou333 

This is very helpful for anyone with the same issue 🙂

Leanne. 

This is the trick, going back into send and receive, after switching iMessage back on, click on the temporary / false number, and then my phone suddenly sorted itself out, the My Number now reads as it should.