cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Mac to iPhone hotspot unless I change Mac WiFi settings to IPv6

timpent01
Investigator
Investigator

I can't remember when this was last working ok on IPv4, but I think the last time I connected to my hotspot was in Sept last year, but now with both iOS 17.2 (and now 17.3), and with my Mac on MacOS 14.2 (and as of today, 14.3), I have to change the WiFi details on my Mac to IPv6 in order to get it to connect properly to my hotspot.

Anyone else experiencing this, and any solutions? I gather that this might be an EE carrier settings issue?

Thanks, Tim

15 REPLIES 15
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @timpent01 

Welcome to the community.

Have you tried resetting the network settings on your iPhone? Is it working OK on IPv6?

Chris

Thanks for your reply Chris.

Re resetting Network Settings, no, I'm reluctant to do that because don't I lose all my WiFi passwords? (Or are all WiFi passwords shared between Mac and iPhone even if the Mac hasn't connected to a particular WiFi?)

And yes, it seems to work ok on IPv6.

Thanks, Tim

ColinHarold
Visitor

Hi 

I'm having same problem with iPhone 14 .. I can't connect to my iPad . My phone isn't showing up either on iPad . 

i can't even get hotspot no more either 

iMessage also keeps turning off .. 

Leanne_T

Hi @ColinHarold 

Thanks for coming here. 

Does the iPhone hotspot connect to any other device?

Do you have the latest software on both devices? 

Leanne.

stephendale1234
Investigator
Investigator

Same problem. Have EE restricted the hotspot to Ipv6 only?

stephendale1234
Investigator
Investigator

But now it seems that the hotspot only works on IPv6 and not IPv4, therefore you can't use the VPN. Maybe need to drop EE.

Leanne_T

Hi @stephendale1234 

Does your device have the latest software? 

Can you hotspot to any other device? 

Leanne. 

timpent01
Investigator
Investigator

Weirdly it's just started working normally without having to switch my Mac to IPv6... 🤷‍♂️

stephendale1234
Investigator
Investigator

I have the latest sw on the iphone 14 and Macbook. The iphone 14 will not tether when using IPv4 - it connects, but no IP is offered by the iphone. DHCP server.  I believe this is due to a recent carrier settings "upgrade" from EE.

Tethering / hotspot via IPv6 does work, but then OpenVPN on the Macbook doesn't work with IPv6. So I have no working solution.

Why would EE remove IPv4 hotspot connectivity?