cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Mac to iPhone hotspot unless I change Mac WiFi settings to IPv6

timpent01
Investigator
Investigator

I can't remember when this was last working ok on IPv4, but I think the last time I connected to my hotspot was in Sept last year, but now with both iOS 17.2 (and now 17.3), and with my Mac on MacOS 14.2 (and as of today, 14.3), I have to change the WiFi details on my Mac to IPv6 in order to get it to connect properly to my hotspot.

Anyone else experiencing this, and any solutions? I gather that this might be an EE carrier settings issue?

Thanks, Tim

15 REPLIES 15
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @stephendale1234 

I'm not aware of any changes, to get this looked into please call us on 150 and our tech guides can run diagnostics to help you further. 

Leanne.

@stephendale1234 Are you still having this problem? I have exactly the same issue and spent two hours on the phone with EE and then Apple to try to resolve. I did a network setting reset and the an All Settings reset, it hasn't resolved the issue.

stephendale1234
Investigator
Investigator

@chrisharris  Yep, still broken. I've had to use a different phone.

Old iOS versions work with new MacOS

New iOS works with old MacOS

New iOS/MacOS doesn't work with IPv4 on EE. 

It seems a combination of Apple changes and EE IPv6 implementation results in no IPv4 Service for new iOS/MacOS combinations. For example, set MacOS to IPv4 only and the hotspot won't work at all.  That's not right. There are several other threads on this. It would be nice if EE could work with Apple, see the issue themselves and sort this out rather than asking everyone to reset everything. 

djsd123
Visitor

Hi @Leanne_T ,

Are you able to provide any further assistance with this?  This appears to be a wider issue and just advising to call 150 seems a bit trite.  I've called EE and as expected, I had to reset everything to no avail.  The first line support team aren't able to resolve this issue.  They're not even able to comprehend it (no fault of their own with my sympathies).

Can you advise how a business customer like myself can escalate this issue.  Please note this is specific to EE. I am able to tether from a phone with a Vodafone network.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @djsd123

Welcome to the community.

We have no account access here on the EE Community. 

If our technical care team are unable to resolve this, there will be the option to raise a ticket to our Level 2 team who can investigate this further. 

Katie

uvarvu
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I don't understand why everyone is getting hung up over this.   If your VPN doesn't work when your mac is set to use IPV6 then that sounds like a you problem and not an EE problem.   Where are you trying to VPN to?