Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

999 Calls From A Cellular Apple Watch (series 9) Without a Plan

matt459
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, 

The answer to this appears to vary from network to network and country to country but I am wondering if I have a cellular Apple Watch but without an active data plan will it still allow me to make 999 calls on EE if my iPhone is not close by?

I don't really use the data or anything on my watch but I like the extra security of being able to make an emergency call if I didn't have my iPhone close by. 

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @matt459 

Dialing 999 without a SIM will connect you to the nearest network which might not be EE. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

No, not when your phone is not nearby. You can only make calls from a watch w/out a plan by Bluetooth connection to a phone.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @matt459 

Thanks for coming back to the community. 

Please see the Use Emergency SOS on your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) support page for full information 🙂

Leanne.

@matt459  Yes it will. The iPhone doesn’t need to be near by.   

matt459
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much all for the reply's. 

BigJinge
Investigator
Investigator

The answer is yes.

I spoke with Apple today and said "Here's a scenario : If I bought an Apple Watch 9 GPS&Cellular, didn't get a separate call plan for the watch, left iPhone at home, had a fall whilst wearing watch, would watch still call UK emergency services?", they replied yes, it would.

Hope that helps.

Whilst Apple Support did give a voice answer when called directly (see further down the page), the scenario about not having the iPhone with you AND not having a call plan attached to the watch, isn't covered on that page.

@BigJinge  Yes it is

“Just like when you use Emergency SOS in your home country or region, your iPhone needs to be nearby if your Apple Watch isn't a model that offers mobile data connectivity.” 

No it doesn't.

THAT quote / page doesn't state specifically that if the watch model has cellular, it doesn't additionally need a call plan attached to it to be able to call your HOME UK emergency services, regardless if an iPhone is nearby or not. It only states it might not work internationally.

For the paragraph that's near it says "In some countries and regions, international emergency calling works even if you haven't set up a mobile data plan on the watch. Find out which countries and regions are supported."

If you follow through the Find out... section and go to see what International emergency dialing shows for the UK under : https://www.apple.com/uk/watchos/feature-availability/#communications-international-emergency it says UK3 . The 3 sub category proviso states " Device must have been set up for mobile service with a network provider but does not require an active data plan. support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207578"

On that HT208578 page it states, under the Before You Start section, "Make sure that you have an eligible mobile data plan with a supported network provider. Your iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same network provider,* and you must be within your provider’s network when you set up cellular on your watch. *An Apple Watch that you set up for a family member can use a different network provider than your iPhone uses."

Even though I rang Apple directly and gave them a very specific scenario saying that if the cellular Apple watch would be used in the UK without a call plan, that following a fall, would it call the UK Emergency Services, the Genius said yes it would. On Apple's own support pages it says to make sure you have to an eligible mobile data plan.

So, if the Genius is to be trusted, it reads as..

1. If the Apple watch cellular owner lives in the UK on say Vodafone, doesn't need to make non emergency calls on the watch when their iPhone isn't near, as long as the watch is seen as a mobile device on their network, then they wouldn't need to transfer to EE or O2.

2. If the Apple watch cellular owner lives in the UK and wants to make non emergency calls on the watch when their iPhone isn't near, then they need suitable call plan for the watch that only EE or O2 can provide.

All of this infers that someone ALREADY knows if they pick up an iPhone or Apple watch with cellular (without nearby iPhone), which doesn't have an activated SIM / eSim, that you can make an emergency call.