cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling

AllysonC
Investigator
Investigator

I've just had a message to say  my 'older device' is not compatible with wi-fi calling. I have a Google Pixel 7a which I got this year. What does this mean? I see 4G and 5G when I am not using my wi-fi so how isn't it compatible? Am a bit confused. Can anyone help. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Can you post up an exact copy of this message?

Hi.

This is the message.

Hi Allyson, we have an important update for you:

EE will be switching off 3G in January 2024 so that we can focus on strengthening our newer and more reliable 4G and 5G networks, giving a better experience to our customers.

As you're using an older device that is not compatible with 4G Calling , you will be impacted by the switch-off. Don't worry, click https://discover.ee.co.uk/f5Y0M3d5 where we've pulled together all of your options.

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

As I suspected, there is no mention of WiFi-calling in that message, which will continue unaffected.

When you are on a voice call, does "VoLTE" or 4G-calling show next to your coverage indicators? Not all phone support VoLTE which is the technology underpinning 4G-calling.

If yours doesn't, then your phone will be using 4G for data but 2G/3G for voice calls - which after 3G sunset will be 2G-only. This is mentioned in the second paragraph on the linked page.

Hi, I think it shows 4G but I haven't really been looking. I've also seen 5G. I've not seen VoLTE. Thank you for your help. I'll see what comes up when I make a call