cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

James_B
EE Community Support Team

We often see posts in the community about phone and device unlocking. So here's a quick guide on how to get your phone or device unlocked on EE.

Here are some quick facts.

• All devices sold directly on EE since December 2021 are unlocked.

• All Apple devices have been pro-actively unlocked, you can check by texting Unlock to 150.

• All Google Pixel devices have been unlocked remotely.

• All Samsung devices launched from the Galaxy S20 are unlocked.

• Unlocking a device can now be done at anytime.

• Unlocking a device is now free of charge.

• You cannot unlock a device which is registered lost or stolen

If your device is locked, you can request it to be unlocked using the link below.

Request to unlock here

How do I know if my phone or device is locked?

For an Android device simply try a different network SIM card in your device. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your device is locked. Text UNLOCK to 150 to check the status of your Apple device.

What is my IMEI number and how do I find it?

IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my phone or device?

Yes, please use the new digital solution here

How will I receive my unlock code?

The new service will present the unlock details on screen, where you can request them sent in email to use later if you require. If you lose them, don’t worry, simply visit the link again and re-enter.

Important information

If we are ever unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you. We will then direct you to the manufacturer.

If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch with Customer Care.

Did you know…?

Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone or device can become blocked in several ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row).

To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) code.

For help with your PUK code see the help page >

If you have any further questions, let us know below.

78 REPLIES 78
Mckinstry26
Investigator
Investigator

How wonderful for anyone buying a new phone as of this month. 

I have owned my phone for years, only just switched provider and am paying for a SIM contract that I cannot use becayse EE has locked me out of my own property!

Is there a compensation departmemt? Issue still not resolved, tantamount to theft. 

Katie_B

Hello @Mckinstry26.

Has there been any update since you last spoke with the unlocking team who sent a form off to Sony?

Speak soon, 

Katie.

The unlocking team have been less than helpful, took me to phone a helpline (paid line given I'm no longer with EE, of course) and then the form was sent off. Still waiting, nearly at the 10 working days guideline wait.

Family and friends cannot reach me unless I have wifi for whatsapp. An inordinate amount of hassle so far. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Mckinstry26

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Did you provide an email address or mobile number for the team to contact you with the unlocking details? 

Thanks. 

Leanne. 

Plymouthbloke1
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX It was made illegal from 17th December actually. You do have a point with existing devices less than 6 months old, but seeing most devices sold these days are Apple ot Samsung, it’s a moot point as they are either already unlocked or proactively unlocked now anyway.

jannetje1982
Visitor

Hi, I am trying to work out if my phone is unlocked, and if not, request for it to be unlocked.  I don't have another SIM card to try in there right now, so have followed the advice above.  When I enter my IMEI number, it brings up the description of my phone, but then won't proceed to step 3, 'unlock'?  Just asks if I want to check another device?

Thanks 

James_B

Hi @jannetje1982,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

What is the full message you see when proceeding to step 3?

James

I am having the same issue as Janet. I enter my IMEI, it appears to verify, and then I cannot move forward. This error takes place in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue. As below:

eeunlockingerror.png

I cannot call EE Customer Services on 150 because the only phone I have access to at the moment is locked to EE and my sim card is with Virgin Mobile. 

@breadandroses : Don't worry, your images were awaiting approval. I have now done so & they should appear soon.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Plymouthbloke1 : If it is so moot why are peeps, even with Samsungs, still trying to get their phones unlocked?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)