cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

James_B
EE Community Support Team

We often see posts in the community about phone and device unlocking. So here's a quick guide on how to get your phone or device unlocked on EE.

Here are some quick facts.

• All devices sold directly on EE since December 2021 are unlocked.

• All Apple devices have been pro-actively unlocked, you can check by texting Unlock to 150.

• All Google Pixel devices have been unlocked remotely.

• All Samsung devices launched from the Galaxy S20 are unlocked.

• Unlocking a device can now be done at anytime.

• Unlocking a device is now free of charge.

• You cannot unlock a device which is registered lost or stolen

If your device is locked, you can request it to be unlocked using the link below.

Request to unlock here

How do I know if my phone or device is locked?

For an Android device simply try a different network SIM card in your device. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your device is locked. Text UNLOCK to 150 to check the status of your Apple device.

What is my IMEI number and how do I find it?

IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my phone or device?

Yes, please use the new digital solution here

How will I receive my unlock code?

The new service will present the unlock details on screen, where you can request them sent in email to use later if you require. If you lose them, don’t worry, simply visit the link again and re-enter.

Important information

If we are ever unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you. We will then direct you to the manufacturer.

If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch with Customer Care.

Did you know…?

Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone or device can become blocked in several ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row).

To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) code.

For help with your PUK code see the help page >

If you have any further questions, let us know below.

78 REPLIES 78

I am having problem unlocking my phone

Hi @breadandroses ,

As a sanity check, when you insert your Virgin Mobile SIM and reboot, is the handset definitely network locked?

https://care.ee.co.uk/unlock_your_ee_device

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Hi @breadandroses ,

As a sanity check, when you insert your Virgin Mobile SIM and reboot, is the handset definitely network locked?

https://care.ee.co.uk/unlock_your_ee_device

When I swipe down the notifications, there is one stating "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted." 

I now realise the SIM card could be locked rather than the handset? Is that a thing?

From Googling things, it appears that it is the handset that is locked. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: I just called the 0800 customer service number and followed the unlocking instructions, which was an automatic voice giving me the link to the online unlocking procedure, which doesn't work, as detailed in my previous post.

Hi @breadandroses ,

Thanks for checking that. Does seem like your handset is locked and you are at the mercy of EE to get it unlocked.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

I was given an incorrect unlock code for my phone. Advised of a 10 day wait while Sony checked the unlock code. It is now going on a month and I am still waiting. Made a second payment for a new SIM I have been unable to use even once. 

You certainly are at the mercy of EE.

I'm considering legal action at this stage, even the complaints department have not responded with anything by way of compensation. My complaints will be going to social media and the ombudsman next.

What an insidious practice to assume all are guilty of potentially stealing a contract phone and therefore lock their phone by default. No wonder it is now illegal to do so. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Mckinstry26

Welcome to the community. 

I am so sorry to hear your phone is yet to be unlocked. 

I would love to help further.

Please could you confirm if you have spoke with our unlocking team for an update?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

Hello,

Please could you also reply to my posts outlining and clarifying my issue? Number 18 and 23 in this thread.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @breadandroses.

I'd recommend getting back in touch with our Customer Care team so you can speak with our unlocking team.

They will be able to help you further and clarify why you haven't been able to process this so far.

Jon

tenshi
Visitor

Hello,

Your servies is not working. I have tried to get passed the second stage after entering the IMEI number and it won't go to stage 3....what can be done here.

I need to use a different SIM card. I have a monthly billing ( contract with EE since Decembver 2020. This is frustrating. I want to add another sim to my phone but upon start up it states: NETWORK LOCKED SIM CARD.

PLEASE HELP. texting Unlock to 150 is not helpful at all. 

I need that unlock code.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @tenshi.

Welcome to the community.

Have you either completed an online unlock form or spoken to our Customer Care team to process this?

Jon