cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

James_B
EE Community Support Team

We often see posts in the community about phone and device unlocking. So here's a quick guide on how to get your phone or device unlocked on EE.

Here are some quick facts.

• All devices sold directly on EE since December 2021 are unlocked.

• All Apple devices have been pro-actively unlocked, you can check by texting Unlock to 150.

• All Google Pixel devices have been unlocked remotely.

• All Samsung devices launched from the Galaxy S20 are unlocked.

• Unlocking a device can now be done at anytime.

• Unlocking a device is now free of charge.

• You cannot unlock a device which is registered lost or stolen

If your device is locked, you can request it to be unlocked using the link below.

Request to unlock here

How do I know if my phone or device is locked?

For an Android device simply try a different network SIM card in your device. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your device is locked. Text UNLOCK to 150 to check the status of your Apple device.

What is my IMEI number and how do I find it?

IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my phone or device?

Yes, please use the new digital solution here

How will I receive my unlock code?

The new service will present the unlock details on screen, where you can request them sent in email to use later if you require. If you lose them, don’t worry, simply visit the link again and re-enter.

Important information

If we are ever unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you. We will then direct you to the manufacturer.

If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch with Customer Care.

Did you know…?

Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone or device can become blocked in several ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row).

To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) code.

For help with your PUK code see the help page >

If you have any further questions, let us know below.

74 REPLIES 74
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Do all these facts apply to devices bought from a 3rd-party, i.e. not direct from EE, on an EE contract?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Yes, this applies to phones purchased from elsewhere too, @XRaySpeX.

Chris

So there is no more phoning +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Pdog
Explorer

If the code has been entered incorrectly do I need to get an mck code if the phone is asking for it or can I just retry and enter the correct details?

Pdog
Explorer

If the code has been entered incorrectly do I need to get an mck code if the phone is asking for it or can I just retry and enter the correct details?

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Pdog.

You should be able to try your code again unless you're getting an error message.

Jon

greenman3
Visitor

Hi, thank you for this update but I just want to clarify, I spoke to an agent today at 150 and they said as far as they know, it’s still locked for 6 months. So I just want to make sure that what your saying is more true vs the agent’s info.

Plymouthbloke1
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It’s no longer legal to sell a phone locked to a network so the 6 month thing is cobblers.

@Plymouthbloke1 : No, it isn't! The 6 months still applies to devices already sold prior to now. The Regs only applies to devices newly sold from Jan. 2022.