cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly having issues connecting to hotspot

AtheneNoctua
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

According to EE's coverage map, there are no issues. I have a Galaxy S10 which I have been using as a hotspot with only minor issues (sometimes it takes it upon itself to switch the hotspot off), but now I can't connect to it at all. 

I have 3 devices: 

M1 Max MacBook Pro (macOS 12.6)
2 iPad Pros (both iPadOS 15.7)
The Galaxy is running whatever the latest Android update is (I think it's dated 11/09)

Sometimes it'll connect to the phone, but I can't connect to the internet; sometimes it won't connect to the phone; sometimes it'll prompt me for the password (and then tell me it can't connect) and sometimes it just plain balks at doing anything. 

Where I am I need a reliable connection, it's absolutely vital. There's wifi here, but it's basically dialup speeds (because staff sit on their phones instead of doing their jobs). 

I have restarted all three devices, and my phone.
I have 'forgotten' the phone on all three devices and attempted to reconnect (which isn't often successful)

@Northerner , this is your jurisdiction, I think - any ideas mate...? If it can't be fixed, then I am going to have to get the parental begging bowl out, because I can't afford to replace the phone myself (as I am not getting my PIP/EESA because staff can't be bothered to help me deal with the DWP and I am not able to do so myself). I am now, thanks to the constant noise here severely chronically ill and, because I'm autistic, I need a reliable working connection, because I need to try to find a GP (plus literally everything I do is online).

Thanks for any help. If you need any further info, let me know (but I can't really think of anything else to tell you).

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Break this down into two separate, possibly related, issues.

Your phone's connection to the mobile network/internet - this can be tested by using other internet-functionality on the same phone. If it works, then EE's mobile network is not the issue.

Other devices connecting to your phone - this is purely WiFi and is only between those devices and the phone, nothing to do with EE's mobile network.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Break this down into two separate, possibly related, issues.

Your phone's connection to the mobile network/internet - this can be tested by using other internet-functionality on the same phone. If it works, then EE's mobile network is not the issue.

Other devices connecting to your phone - this is purely WiFi and is only between those devices and the phone, nothing to do with EE's mobile network.

AtheneNoctua
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yeah my phones forked. I realise it has nothing to do with EE. As the wifi here is diabolical, going to start another thread with Plan B. 

Sorry for the late response... sh*t wifi and I'm not well. 

Tiburonsmoke
Investigator
Investigator

After a whole year of being unable to use my projector, a scheduled update to my iOS fixed the problem. I found a new option in the Personal Hotspot menu: “Maximise Compatibility”. Switching this ON allowed my projector to connect again. Apparently, the setting toggles between WiFi frequencies.

I wonder if Android devices have the same issue.