cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 7 power issue

JonathanGriggs
Investigator
Investigator

This morning my Pixel 7 turned itself off and won’t turn back on again. I’ve tried charging it for several hours, I’ve tried all manner of button combinations, I’ve tried asking someone else to try in case I have fat fingers and I’m doing it wrong but nothing seems to work. I took it to an EE store close to work this evening but they wouldn’t look at it for less than £920 because of a cosmetic scratch on the corner of the phone. Given that a new phone is around £600 from Google that sounds like a “we don’t want the job” quote. Their solution is that I pay them £340 early upgrade fee as well as being tied into a new contract, and paying for a phone I don’t really want. I was very happy with the phone I had up until 9:30 this morning, I don’t really want an upgrade, what I want is EE to fix my less than year old phone.

Does anyone have a way of getting EE to honour their warranty? I would have thought I’d have some sort of consumer rights here but it would appear those sorts of protections don’t apply. The real binding issue here is that I’m on call for work on Sunday and that mobile number is the only one switchboard has, getting them to change their records is a multistep process which I do not have time to go through before the weekend.

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @JonathanGriggs 

The problem is that the damage to the device may impact the repair. So for example the integrity of the screen with the damage may mean it cannot be removed without needing a replacement (which is an additional cost). 

I would suggest going to Google direct and if they tell you the same thing then you know this is just not EE. This is why you need insurance with accident damage as this would indemnify you. If you have home content insurance with AD it maybe worth contacting them. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Assuming you have a physical SIM, insert that into any other working phone as an interim measure.

I don't, I was told that my old sim wouldn't work with the 7 and I'd need to have an esim, which doesn't seem to be transferable.

I don't buy it. What is the point of being careful with your phone and keeping a device in a case for its entire life if companies can still say they don't want to honour their responsibilities. I don't know how it got scratched, nor do I really care, that's not what needs repair, the fact a device that's less than a year old spontaniously stopped working in my hand is what I took it in for.

Insurance is for people who don't look after their things. My phones always live in a case, aren't dropped, aren't given to small children to play with, for all I know the staff in the store scratched it when they took it away to be looked at.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Pixel 7's have a nano-SIM slot. If you already have an eSIM, then the process does differ and it's inevitably more complex.

354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@JonathanGriggs - how have you been charging the device? Wireless? Cable? Via USB C cable to a  charge block/external battery bank/ or PC/Laptop?

Maybe the phone battery is shot if you can't charge the device either via usb c cable or wireless charging.