Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google wallet not working

jj494
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

I've got a POCO F3 5g and I've recently moved to a EE sim only, from PlusNet mobile, and after I inserted the EE sim card into my phone, contactless payments through Google Wallet won't work. 

The wallet app all works perfectly well, no error messages, it just doesn't work when I try to use it. 

If I remove the sim card it works, if I use a Giffgaff sim card it works, but not with the EE sim card. 

I've tried a factory reset but that hasn't made any difference. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

J

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I finally managed to resolve the issue on my Xiaomi device.

There's a setting under NFC called "secure element position" and with the EE sim card inserted this defaults to "SIM wallet" and Google Wallet then doesn't work.

I changed this setting to "HCE Wallet" (which is what it defaults to when I tried other network sim card) and it's now working as normal. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If it works when you remove the EE Sim Card, then you probably still have some tokens left (It needs these for limited use when out of Coverage or using WiFi), it could be it hasn't downloaded additional Tokens using the EE Sim.

The F3 is a Dual Sim Device, are you using 2 Sims together?, or how?. Also check the APN Settings are correct for the EE Network anyway.

From the above, you could try clearing the Cache on the Wallet App, then De Install and Re Install again (Use the Play Store App to Un Install, not the Phone), Install the App over a EE Internet Connection, also try using Only the EE Sim in the Phone (Sim Slot 1), make sure you have the Data connected to the right Sim Slot, ensure the Internet connection is good, and leave the Phone in this state for 12 to 24 Hours, then test the wallet again.

Thanks for your reply. 

I use one sim only, in slot 1 (I'd just borrowed my partner's giffgaff sim to replace the EE one to see if that worked) and the apn settings are correct. 

I don't know how long it ought to take to download additional EE tokens - I've been using the EE sim for about 8 weeks now. 

I'll try your cache/uninstall suggestion and see if that does the trick. 

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Ok, give it 24 Hours after a new up to date Install.

You could also try the the Help Page or Community here - 

https://support.google.com/wallet/?hl=en-GB#topic=11925502

I've tried all of those and I'm still unable to make contactless payments. 

I'd initially thought the problem was with the phone, but I got it checked as it's under warranty and they could find no fault with the NFC.

I'll try Google support next. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Let us know how you get on after contacting Google @jj494 

Leanne 🙂

I contacted Google who were adamant that as Google Wallet says the set up is good to go, then the issue must be with EE. 

I've now, somewhat belatedly, tried putting my EE sim in my partner's phone, and immediately contactless payments stopped working in exactly the same manner. 

The problem has to be with the sim or EE. 

I've run out of things to try.. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jj494,

I'm not aware of any network settings that would limit the ability to use Google Pay.

I'd recommend getting in touch with technical support to see if the team can shed any light on it.

Please let us know how you get on.

James

PaulXLE
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

I have exactly the same issue - I moved from BT to EE a couple of months ago, before my Google Wallet worked fine, but since EE it has not worked. I have tried the clear cache thing, no different. 

I am reluctant to uninstall and reinstall as my wallet contains many store cards and some store vouchers, if I uninstall will they all disappear?

Anyway, did you get anywhere with this, I don't know what you mean when referring to tokens?

TIA

Paul

Paul

I finally managed to resolve the issue on my Xiaomi device.

There's a setting under NFC called "secure element position" and with the EE sim card inserted this defaults to "SIM wallet" and Google Wallet then doesn't work.

I changed this setting to "HCE Wallet" (which is what it defaults to when I tried other network sim card) and it's now working as normal. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.