cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A8 (2018) Mobile Data Stopped Working

Ross232
Investigator
Investigator

Problem: No mobile data service on Galaxy A8 (2018) (SM-A530F).

Background: My mobile (cellular) data stopped working completely when I switched network providers from Plusnet to EE about a week ago. I can't get any mobile internet connection, even when I have four bars of signal strength. The handset doesn't show a 4G+/4G/3G icon near the clock. On the SIM card status menu, "Mobile network state" shows disconnected, even when mobile data is enabled. Voice calls and wifi data work correctly. Mobile data used to work correctly on previous carrier (Plusnet). Latest software is installed (build PPR1.180610.011.A530FXXULCUK6).

Already Tried:

1. Testing SIM (my SIM works when in my wife's phone; her SIM--also EE--works in her phone but not in mine.)
  2. Calling EE, although the fact the SIM works in another device implies it's not the network
  3. Restarting device
  4. Switching airplane/flight mode on and off again
  5. Disabling wifi
  6. Disabling Bluetooth
  7. Checking "Data saver" is off
  8. Checking "Set data limit" is off
  9. Restarting in safe mode
  10. General Management > Reset > Reset settings
  11. General Management > Reset > Reset network settings
  12. General Management > Reset > Factory data reset
  13. Deleted and manually recreated APN
  14. Installed "Samsung Members" app, and ran diagnostics tests (no errors found)
  15. Deleted cache partition and formatted device using recovery mode

I'm at a loss. Is there anything else I can try?

10 REPLIES 10
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ross232,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Please try updating your settings at EE Setup (wdsglobal.com) and let me know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks

James

Hi James

Thank you for the suggestion, but it didn't work.

I went to setup-ee.wdsglobal.com, selected my handset (the list isn't sorted correctly, but I found it in the end), installed the configuration file, and restarted my phone. I still can't connect to mobile data, and can't see that the new configuration made any difference.

I called EE technical support last night, and a technician said that EE only supports Android 10 or later - is this correct? My device is Android 9. However, my wife's phone is Android 8 and her data works correctly.

Thanks

Ross

James_B

Hi @Ross232,

I'm not aware of any compatibility issues with earlier versions of Android.

Can you use data if you complete a factory reset without restoring from a backup?

James

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Do your voice calls use VoLTE, or do they fallback to 2G/3G?

> Do your voice calls use VoLTE, or do they fallback to 2G/3G?

How do I check this? It doesn't show an icon near the clock, just the signal strength bars.

Hi James

I haven't tried to do use mobile data without restoring from backup because the restore option is part of the initial boot process. However, the restore gives several checkboxes when asking what to restore (contacts, apps, etc.) and I didn't select the "settings" checkbox, which I'd assume would be where the mobile data options would be stored.

I'm reluctant to do a third wipe and restore to test your suggestion.

Thanks

Ross

James_B

Is it a dual SIM model @Ross232?

If it is, could you try the other SIM slot and let me know if that resolves the issue?

James

Hi James

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's the single SIM model, so unfortunately can't try that.

Thanks

Ross

James_B

No problem @Ross232 

I'd recommend contacting Technical Support so a member of the team can take another look at this for you.

Thanks

James