cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Mini box won’t connect to router

TrickyPig
Investigator
Investigator

I have finally got my two tv mini boxes that should have arrived with my original order almost two weeks ago after more than a reasonable amount of phone calls…

I have tried to set one up in the dining room. The router is only in the next room but it won’t pick up the WiFi?! I’ve previously had a Fire Stick in that room that picked the WiFi up without my issue. Are these TV Mini boxes useless?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I found the culprit. I had plugged my Virgin power line into the router and it obviously upset it. Once removed, everything worked fine. Didn’t realise the power line would not be adaptable to the new EE router.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Neil-O
EE Community Support Team

Hi, @TrickyPig  welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems connecting your Mini TV box.

1. We recommend your EE TV Box Mini is placed 5 metres from your Hub. If it's further away and you're experiencing issues, you may benefit from Smart WiFi or a WiFi booster
  2. Plug one end of your HDMI cable into the purple socket of your EE TV Box Mini (use the cable in the box provided to get the best picture quality).
  3. Plug the other end into the back of your TV.
  4. Plug one end of the power cable into the back of your EE TV Box Mini (you’ll find the power cable in your EE TV Box Mini pack).
  5. Plug the other end into the nearest power socket on the wall.
  6. Press the power button on the front of your EE TV Box Mini to turn it on.
  7. You’ll be guided through the set-up instructions on your EE TV Box Mini.

If you're having issues with your WiFi speed and connection, find out what affects your home broadband and WiFi.

Thanks

Neil

Derang
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Do the mini boxes need to connect to the smart hub directly?  I know the box pro struggles when using say an eero mesh network, but does this also apply to the mini boxes?

I’ve not set mine up yet but did have problems connecting my box pro to the eero network rather than the SH WiFi.

I am trying to connect them wirelessly the same as I did with Amazon Fire sticks, which worked fine. Don’t understand what is stopping them. 
EE’s solution is to send a power line adaptor. That’s not ideal as it is another thing to plug in. Will have to see what happens, I suppose. 

Neil,

I’ve done all that. It just gets to set up and won’t fine the network. The router is only in the next room so should be powerful enough to reach this room. The fire sticks had no issue. 

My EE box mini had been working until yesterday but is not now connecting now by wifi. As is the case with you, the router is only in the next room. My ipad has no problem connecting to the internet in the same room as the EE box mini.

I suspect that these ee box mini s are substandard and not fit for purpose. The change from BT to EE has not been the best and the sevice is not very good.

stereohaven
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@TrickyPig wrote:

I’ve done all that. It just gets to set up and won’t fine the network. The router is only in the next room so should be powerful enough to reach this room. The fire sticks had no issue. 

Does everything work OK if you set up the mini box in the same room as the router?

BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K

I found the culprit. I had plugged my Virgin power line into the router and it obviously upset it. Once removed, everything worked fine. Didn’t realise the power line would not be adaptable to the new EE router.