Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EETV Mini boxes Apps Disney Prime etc

astableford
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I can’t see this detailed anywhere. Do the mini boxes allow other apps to be installed. E.g Disney, Netflix, prime, apple tv, YouTube? 
I understand I should be able to have these on the main box if opt for apple box. Or is the mini restricted to just the NOW app for regular live tv etc?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
stereohaven
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

We have been discussing the lack of apps and content for years on the BT Community @GosforthUK .

Honestly, I would encourage everyone not to waste your time or energy on it.

BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K

Yes there literally miions of apps but there is only one youtube and one disney+ and EE as a provider needs to get with the program.

EE operators mislead me on the phone into believing once the order is complete i get youtube and disney+. Clearly thats not the case. 

poor performance 

@TimeeK   You can’t just put an app on a device it has to be written for that device and that’s down to the developers of that app not EE.  

So has one been created for the device ?  you seem to think there has been with that comment because you think EEs at fault that it’s not got them.   

Weerab2024
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

You can't install your own apps. You get all the main catch up ones(iplayer/itvx/channel 4/my5/ukplay/stv), plus Netflix, prime, discovery plus, apple tv, pop/great player, watch free (cbs) and GB News.

No YouTube or Disney plus but you never know. Personally this would make it a better sell to my other half and she would probably consider ditching sky stream if we also had more IP channels (free to air/entertainment). 

GB News appeared a couple of months ago. 

EE TV Pro, EE mini box, Full Fibre 500

@Weerab2024   Apple TV.  Nuff said.   Lol

Weerab2024
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Chris_B I quite like watch free to be honest, blaze would be good too lol

@Weerab2024   I’ve got a LG TV so I get LG TV channels.  Lots of free content.  😉.  Pre installed is Disney+ Apple TV+ Netflix. YouTube to name a few.    I’ve also got a couple of  Apple TVs so I get the best of both.   The Pro Boxes are great if you want to record but that’s the only real benefit of these.     I can just stick a SSD/HDD in my tv for recording purposes.  Hopefully I’ll be getting a Pro box soon not sure when though, I want to see what the fuss is all about. 

Weerab2024
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Chris_B I just have it because of its recording to be honest and have it in my spare room/office as the other half has sky stream in the living room. I have EE mini boxes in the bedroom and downstairs as I was getting them for free anyway.

Also have Roku TVs and firesticks as I also like the best of all worlds. 

Sky Stream is due up next month but can't see the other half parting with it 

@Weerab2024   If your keeping is just for YouTube  and Disney+ it’s not worth it surely ?    Plenty of other ways to get to know them plus others on the same box.   Is there any other benefits to sky stream ?    Surely something like the Apple TV offers more benefit ?   

stereohaven
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Chris_B 

The question people should be asking is not “how does this compare to Sky Stream” (because it doesn’t, the Sky UX wins all day, every day), but “do I need to get this all via EE?”, and the answer is no.

An Apple TV can do everything you are buying from EE TV, without a contract, cheaper and on any broadband connection.

You can buy the hardware (which is then yours), replicate the live TV Guide using an app called TV Launcher and then flexibly add or remove apps/content as you see fit, for much cheaper and without a contract.

BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K