cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE TV Pro functionality

elkay62
Contributor
Contributor

I'm finding it very difficult to get a good impression of how well the Pro box works compared to Sky Q or VM V6.

Two stores I visited did not have a working box to play with . Another store did, and it seemed reasonably good, but it is inconvenient to get there to have a play with.

Some questions:

• Is it possible to record Now TV channels through the TV guide, or are we limited to Freeview channels>
  • Can recordings on the Pro box be watched on the Mini box?
  • Can Now TV accounts be added at a later date? And can different Now TV accounts be logged in and out of? I.e I have a Sports subscription, my wife has a Cinema subscription (there's a reason.... 😁 )
  • Can subtitles be switched on with voice control? If not, how many button presses?
  • Are subtitles kept on when changing from one channel to another, or to recorded or streamed content?
  • Can two remotes be used for one box? I currently have 2 for my Sky Q box, though only one works for voice.

I am at the end of my Sky Q contract. If I switch to EE and find that the TV box isn't suitable, can I cancel the full bundle incuding the broadband in the first 14 days?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Also, @DarrenDev  indicated that it would be possible to record 2 aerial channels and 2 IP streams. Yet the information below, from the Important Information bit after the different bundles are described, seems to contradict this - especially the bits in italics.

Internet Mode (IP)

• You can connect your TV Box Pro using your Broadband connection or by using an aerial.
  • The TV Box Mini and Apple TV 4K only connect using your Broadband connection.
  • Some channels that are available in aerial mode may not be available in internet mode.
  • It is not possible to watch recordings made in Internet mode if you switch to aerial mode.
  • Existing TV Box Pro customers that move from aerial mode to Internet mode may lose any subsequent recordings and settings.

DarrenDev
EE Employee

The EE web site is being updated to provide more information and help.

All boxes can be used at the same time, but I'm not sure whether they can all watch the same thing - we used to be restricted to 2 devices, but I don't know if this has changed. I'm on holiday at the moment, so can't find out.

Yes, you need to use the provider- specific apps on other platforms, which have their own concurrency rules. e.g. TNT Sports will allow 2 devices to watch at the same time.

Flexing your EE TV package is currently only possible over the phone - call to find out your options. It'll be online and in the EE app eventually.

Offers direct with Now TV are not transferable to EE TV.

Nothing you've quoted contradicts anything I've said, and I don't understand why you think it does, so don't know how to respond with further information.

Hi,

You seem to suggest that it should be possible to record "2 aerial, 2 IP".

However, this information I found seems to indicate that there would be no point as you couldn't watch recordings from both aerial and IP...

"It is not possible to watch recordings made in Internet mode if you switch to aerial mode.
Existing TV Box Pro customers that move from aerial mode to Internet mode may lose any subsequent recordings and settings."

I.e. this seems to indicate that recordings via aerial and IP are mutually exclusive. 

Maybe this isn't the case, but then the Important Information section would need to be corrected.

BTW, I do appreciate the effort that you make addressing all the questions about the new boxes. However, I think I might only get a true picture 😏  if I actually order it.

When in aerial mode, the subscription channels are still delivered over internet.

That article only applies when in "Internet mode - i.e. all channels delivered over internet and nothing via aerial.

HughNew
Explorer

Thanks @DarrenDev @for the helpful explanations on this thread. I have just received my new EE Pro Box and have read the thread to get extra info on the set up.

I got this box to replace my BT Vision box specifically after a conversation with the helpline about Dolby Atmos availability. There is however nothing in the Pro instructions about this functionality. Can @DarrenDev help again on this please? I am particularly wondering now, on reading this thread, whether the Dolby is carried via both the aerial  and the IP set up options, or is it just via IP?

Also, when you say subscription channels are still delivered over the internet even when in aerial mode, does this include apps like iPlayer etc, as well as say Now and Discovery +?  Lastly,  for aerial mode I assume it’s correct to connect the Pro box to both the aerial and the router - despite the instructions only advising one or the other?

Thanks for any guidance!

@HughNew Dolby Atmos isn't currently broadcast over any aerial channels, so it doesn't matter what mode you choose.  It's available on TNT Sports Ultimate, and in some of the apps - neither of which care about the mode.  Dolby Digital is available on some Freeview channels - again, via both aerial and internet.

Apps and subscription channels are always available over the internet - your TV Box should always be connected to the internet, and can be connected to the aerial as well if you want to use it.

Thanks!